Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

· Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wanted to post a reply to Passat Window Regulator Fix when I searched for window off track but it's closed. I mounted the Pink Clips (Audi 4B0837463B) and it did it differently than they were in the picture.

Tools:
  • Drill
  • Various Dremel Grinding Bits
  • Drill Bits
  • Mechanical Pencil
  • 7mm and 10mm socket
  • Tap & Die Set for 4mm screws (or just buy a few extra screws and force them)
  • Something to cut/form plastic. I used a Bernzomatic 19132 Micro Pencil Torch Kit that I picked up from Home Depot.
Stuff you'll need to buy:
  • Audi Part 4B0837463B (two per window) My closest Audi dealer wanted almost $15 per clip. I talked him down to $6.
  • (4) 4mm x12mm bolts & nuts
  • (2) 4mm x 10mm bolts
  • (4) rubber washer
  • (2) Lock washer

For now, here are all of the thumbnails: (Pictures are fairly large)

I'll list all of the part numbers that I bought at home depot later.

· Registered
326 Posts
I'm baffled why you did all that drilling and tapping. All you had to do was install (1) self tapping #10 screw with a couple of washers into the pink post. That's how they are installed on the Audi. The whole point of the pink clips were that they were basically plug and play.

· Registered
326 Posts
You should have ended it here.
http://panther37.com/pics/car/b5/small/20080906_8368.jpg

And then installed one screw here. Both clips should have been done exactly the same.
http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h219/J123z_2006/Passat/DSC00735.jpg

Note the screw should be a #10 self tapping. The one I'm showing in my link is not the correct screw, it's for illustrative purposes only.

What you did should work fine, but it's not the proper way for these clips to be installed. As you can see you did a great deal more work than was required.

· Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That might work for the rear lifter, though the way I made my hole it will have some play. How is this plug-n-play for the front lifter that requires an offset?

· Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So just drill a hole in the center so the clip fits through and put on a screw? I'm going to need to do the other side soon. I don't understand why it won't need the offset.

· Registered
1 Posts
I also wonder how well this will work without the offset. It is frustrating that VW will not sell the replacement plastic clips when they are known to fail so often. I guess they want to make money by selling the whole regulator assembly.

My friend in Germany was able find the plastic clips on ebay.de and had another friend bring it back to me. Not the cheapest but it was easy to replace with no modifications.

http://cgi.ebay.de/Fensterheber-Reparatursatz-VW-PASSAT-POLO-vorne-links_W0QQitemZ370097921496QQihZ024QQcategoryZ18320QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1742.m153.l1262

· Registered
430 Posts
OK, I finally got around to doing my other door. Here is how the pink clip should be assembled.

http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h219/J123z_2006/Passat/DSC00768.jpg
http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h219/J123z_2006/Passat/DSC00769.jpg

You don't even need to take the aluminum door shield off. Just loosen all the bolts and pull it back far enough to get your hands in.

http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h219/J123z_2006/Passat/DSC00773.jpg

Took a little over one hour, but I done one before.

John

· Registered
430 Posts
so do those metal things come with the pink clip?? cuz that would make since seeing as i dont have those
No, the metal bracket is what is left of your old regulator bracket.

By the way, this post is pretty old. We have since found ebay sources for the exact replacement clips that do not require any modifications. Just search ebay for "passat window clips" and you will listing for the exact white replacement clips for our passats. Definitely the way to go.

· Registered
326 Posts
Exact fit - no drill/grind, etc. - white clips for Passat, Golf, Jetta, Beetle, Audi

I also wonder how well this will work without the offset. It is frustrating that VW will not sell the replacement plastic clips when they are known to fail so often. I guess they want to make money by selling the whole regulator assembly.

My friend in Germany was able find the plastic clips on ebay.de and had another friend bring it back to me. Not the cheapest but it was easy to replace with no modifications.
I was in the same situation (no way I pay $200 for complete regulator). I used my German connection to hook up with an aftermarket manufacturer. They shipped me the clips for my passenger side front window. Snapped them in, works ever since.

I am now importing the clips (and other regulator parts) for all VW and Audi models, and stock most of the parts here.

I have clips listed on ebay under users:

vtraudt

and

regulatorfix

I am also putting together a web site with photos, instructions, links, DIY, etc.

WindowRegulatorParts.com
WindowRegulatorParts.com

PM me if you need any clips. I have the original fit (no need to drill/tap/etc.).
Also pulley, cable, etc. if needed.

· Registered
751 Posts
I was in the same situation (no way I pay $200 for complete regulator). I used my German connection to hook up with an aftermarket manufacturer. They shipped me the clips for my passenger side front window. Snapped them in, works ever since.

I am now importing the clips (and other regulator parts) for all VW and Audi models, and stock most of the parts here.

I have clips listed on ebay under users:

vtraudt

and

regulatorfix

I am also putting together a web site with photos, instructions, links, DIY, etc.
Really? I'll stick with the Audi conversion that won't crap out again. :poke:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.