Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased an 01 Passat V6 4motion. The current problem with it is it will not start, cranks fine, but will not turn over. Upon my findings I've noticed I am not receiving power to fuse 28 as well as fuse 29. I have purchased a new fuel pump relay and re-spliced the wires leading into my comfort control module still no luck. When I jump the fuel pump relay, power comes to fuse 28, and 29, but still will not run. ECU is getting power, the 40 amp fuse is good and relay 373 (next to ECU) is also good. I haven't checked crank or cam position sensors yet, wondering if it could be the culprit. On a side note, the gear selector is stuck in park. I can move freely when I disconnect the sensor. Also, wondering if the fuel pump should shut off within a few seconds when I jump the relay. I've been searching all over the place and no one really has a problem quite like mine, just looking for a little help. Much appreciated.

·
Registered
8,981 Posts
What engine & transmission?

On a side note, the gear selector is stuck in park. I can move freely when I disconnect the sensor.
What sensor are you disconnecting? The switch on the selector is required to enable starting in park and neutral, and disable in all other positions.

Don't replace parts until after you have scanned it. Post results of scan (All codes, not just the ones you think are relevant).

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Its a 2.8 V6 30 Valve ATQ. Automatic. I am assuming the sensor I am disconnecting is called the neutral safety switch. It is located directly underneath the shifter on the drivers side, two wires are blue with a grey stripe and two wires are black with blue stripe.

·
Registered
8,981 Posts
The thing you are disconnecting is the N110 Selector lever lock solenoid. Get that working, and your problem may be solved.
Are you applying the brake while trying to move selector?

Could be faulty splicing in wiring harnesses in LHS (Driver side) foot well or faulty CCM, also could be faulty Ign. switch, among many other things.

You should scan the car through the OBDII port, and post the codes.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Update: I took of the crank position sensor and found out that there is no power to the sensor. Also, I do not have a VAG COM so I cannot tell you what codes I'm throwing.

·
Registered
8,981 Posts
Either buy a scanner (VCDS recommended) or take it somewhere and get it scanned. And post results.
Don't check or replace anything until after you have done the above, and wait for responses here.

Are you applying the brake while trying to move selector?

With the Ign. on:
Is the brake light next to the gear lever on?
Does it go off with foot on brake?
Do you hear a click from near the gear lever when you put foot on brake?

·
Registered
8,981 Posts
If you continue replacing parts, without any idea of where the problem is, it won't take long for you to spend more on
unneeded parts, than it would cost for VCDS Lite.

You could check the VAG-COM Locator, you would probably find someone willing to help. (I am a bit too far from you).

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I am applying the brake when trying to select gears, the light next to the selector is illuminated with the key on, dont recall if it goes off with the foot brake. I am trying to locate a VAG COM scanner but have had no luck thus far. I have never used on, all i need is the cable and to download the software from Ross Tech?

·
Registered
3 Posts
This is the same problem that I am having

Hate to revive an old post but this is the same problem that I am having. I have no power on fuse 28 (fuel pump, gasoline), fuse 29 (ECM) or fuse 34 (Engine control elements).
Hey, previous posters, what happened? What solution did you find? What tests should I do?

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Fuse 29 is powered via the ECM power relay, which is in the ECM box. The relay is controlled by the ECM. That would be my first suspect. Bentley doesn't list a production number for the ECM power relay, but it isn't the 373 relay in the ECM box--that's the SAIP relay.

You may want to replace the 373 relay while you're in the ECM box. It's undersized, so the contacts pit badly and eventually fail. (I know, if it won't start, the SAIP doesn't matter.)

Fuses 28 & 34 are powered by the fuel pump relay (production number 372), which is also controlled by the ECM. I suspect the ECM wouldn't even try to turn this relay on without power to fuse 29.

I think these fuse assignments hold for the various engines and years. Some other details (wire colors, other loads) vary, so I've omitted them.

·
Registered
8,981 Posts
Hate to revive an old post but this is the same problem that I am having. I have no power on fuse 28 (fuel pump, gasoline), fuse 29 (ECM) or fuse 34 (Engine control elements).
Hey, previous posters, what happened? What solution did you find? What tests should I do?
The ATQ (as in your profile) does not use an ECM Power Supply Relay, voltage to fuses 28, 29, and 34 is supplied from the fuel pump relay.
Under normal operation, the FP relay is only activated when the ECM sees the engine turning. (check voltage at these fuses while cranking)

·
Registered
26,976 Posts
Hello[U] rdagijones[/U], could you get your car fixed? if so, what was the solution. I am having the same issue with my Passat 2001 ATQ. Thanks in advance.
Did you check the power to the fuses, check the engine speed sensor and the fuel pump relay?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts