Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought a 2000 Passat. It's bone stock, with 15" wheels. Obviously, we need something bigger in the wheel wells!!!
I've been shopping Ebay, came across a few good looking "FM Replica" wheels. They are 17"x7.5" Audi S4 style wheels. Bolt Pattern is 5 x 120,
offset 32mm. Will these wheels fit my Passat well? And will the change of wheel size distort my speedometer? What do I need to do to keep the speedometer and more importantly the odometer acurate??? Thanks for your help.. I'm a newbie... Live in ATL, GA :oops:

·
Registered
151 Posts
Blue A said:
I recently bought a 2000 Passat. It's bone stock, with 15" wheels. Obviously, we need something bigger in the wheel wells!!!
I've been shopping Ebay, came across a few good looking "FM Replica" wheels. They are 17"x7.5" Audi S4 style wheels. Bolt Pattern is 5 x 120,
offset 32mm. Will these wheels fit my Passat well? And will the change of wheel size distort my speedometer? What do I need to do to keep the speedometer and more importantly the odometer acurate??? Thanks for your help.. I'm a newbie... Live in ATL, GA :oops:
You need to keep to outside diameter of the tire the same. The stock 205-55-16 that came on my passat, and the 195-65-15 standard rims and tires are 24.9" to 25.0" in diameter.

Try http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html to compare different tire sizes from your original size to see the differences. You will see that 195-65-15 would be equivalent to 225-45-17.

What are you going to do with your 15" rims?

·
Registered
3,873 Posts
You will not be able to make your wheel wells smaller with larger rims. In actually, if you go with bigger wheels, thus smaller profile tires, the opposite happens - your wheel wells look incredibly larger. In order to keep the speedo correct and maintain a close MPG, you must have the same rolling radius - I believe it is around 25" or 25.1" no matter what size wheels you have.

·
Registered
151 Posts
RL331 said:
You will not be able to make your wheel wells smaller with larger rims. In actually, if you go with bigger wheels, thus smaller profile tires, the opposite happens - your wheel wells look incredibly larger. In order to keep the speedo correct and maintain a close MPG, you must have the same rolling radius - I believe it is around 25" or 25.1" no matter what size wheels you have.
The wheel well issue can be dealt with by lowering but there have been issues with tire rub.

·
Registered
3,873 Posts
Blindthief said:
RL331 said:
The wheel well issue can be dealt with by lowering but there have been issues with tire rub.
There are not many issues with tire rub even with a close to 2 inch drop and 17 or 18 x 7.5/8" wheels. So I think you really DO NOT need to worry about it unless you want to do extreme lowering or extreme wheel sizes.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts