Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

Passat W8 4motion ... SCCA Solo Autocross

5K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  CuppaJoe 
#1 ·
I started to autocross my W8 this season (spring '15), I'll try to keep this post up-to-date. We run once a month.

#3 ·
I'm intrigued...how does the W8 compare to the 1.8T, or 2.5L engines? How big of a power boost over those two does it give you when driving? I remember reading about the W8 when VW first introduced it on the Passat, but its $40,000.00+ price tag discouraged me from buying one. I like the concept of an 8-cylinder engine that's smaller than a traditional V8, yet gives one the same performance.
The W12 engine in the Phaeton I test-drove back in January '04 wasn't much bigger than a large-block V8, but boy did it move!!

#4 ·
I have never driven the 1.8T so I can not compare. The W8 is a monster in power and very fast (6 speed manual) and the power band comes to life at the top end speeds. The car; however, is too large and heavy for SCCA autocross. I'm finishing this season and may have to use it for the next but am presently building up my 16V Jetta to take over as my autocross racer.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.