Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm on I 95 in Maine (four lanes-divided highway) coming home from Augusta doing about 75 in the travel lane when the traffic starts braking hard and I see the outline of numerous large birds on the road and in the air. I'm in my stock 99 1.8T running my winter 15s with Nokian NRWs. The Subie wagon ahead of me is nose diving but stays in control. I brake hard but there is not enough room, so I cut the wheel into the left lane to clear the Sube and am immediately bearingdown on a big turkey staring right at me. I steer left around this one and right around another one, avoid both beasts and am clear.

The Passat executed this maneuver really well, and the steering was right on even with the braking load on the suspension. Front and rear stayed true. The Nokians, 65 series no less, did not complain and the sidewalls help up nicely. I have never seen anything like this, and it shook me up. I was very pleased with the emergency response and think it would be even sharper with my Swings and SP5000s. Thought everyone might enjoy this wierd encounter.

JC

JC

·
Registered
238 Posts
I had a similar experience going about 50-60 last week on Rt 140 in MA. The only dif was I steered left around a car which pulled out (about a car length away) in front of me and then right to avoid an on coming truck. The whole time the ABS was pounding away with my Blizaks on the wet road. It's amazing how well the car handles in emergency stopping.

·
Banned
1,496 Posts
From the title of this thread I thought this was going to be about drinking and driving. :D

I can't imagine how hard it would be to pick turkey out of your grill but I have to think that if it managed to get onto the engine, it would make for a nice aroma while driving. It would be like a Thanksgiving scent air freshener.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Still think it was the feathered bi-ped type but they do look similar, especailly at highway speeds. Bird was taller though.

jc

·
Registered
11,541 Posts
Jace said:
Still think it was the feathered bi-ped type but they do look similar, especailly at highway speeds. Bird was taller though.

jc
The bottles don't come in the 2 foot tall versions around your parts? You must be in one of em 'Dry Counties'! :lol:

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
yeah, thats kinda weird :shock:

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
Dude, that could have fed you all weekend, and if you left parts in the engine bay, it would have been cooked by the time you got home.

lost opportuniites... tisk tisk. :???: :lol:

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
Good to hear you're ok. I drove I95 to and from Waterville yesterday and don't recall seeing butterball on the pavement.

Beware - these birds fly low. A guy recently caught one in his windhield up on 35 in Standish. In avoidance he drove off the road into a tree. Minor injuries thanks to airbag tecnhology [except for the turkey

·
Registered
272 Posts
I took a wild turket with my Rocco about 8 years ago and I was lucky it didn't end up in the passenger seat next to me, however, it's head and neck got lodged into the windshield seal and left a real mess to clean up. good to hear you didn't tag one!

·
needs more cowbell
5,946 Posts
Jblough389 said:
I took a wild turket with my Rocco ... it's head and neck got lodged into the windshield seal
WOW i wasn't expecting that as a word picture!!!

glad the passat made it through the maneuvers

1 - 13 of 13 Posts