Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

Are there any recalls pertaining to the V6 engine?
I hear the mass air flow system ( or whatever it's really called ) has an issue . If not, are there any other issues besides the brakes being of very poor quality.

I have to go in for the second time in 4 months for brake squealing and pulsation :crazy:

Johnny

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
The brakes suck... but there are no recalls for them. The Camshaft seals have a tendency to need to be replaced every 40k or so. There is a recall out on Vaccum lines for the brake booster I think, and there is a recall out on the wheel well liner. That is all I know about. Keep an eye on those rotors, they have a tendency to warp. You may want to consider upgrading to slotted or cross drilled, or if you have the money, maybe consider a big brake kit.

·
Registered
374 Posts
VWPassatGLX155 said:
The brakes suck... but there are no recalls for them. The Camshaft seals have a tendency to need to be replaced every 40k or so. There is a recall out on Vaccum lines for the brake booster I think, and there is a recall out on the wheel well liner. That is all I know about. Keep an eye on those rotors, they have a tendency to warp. You may want to consider upgrading to slotted or cross drilled, or if you have the money, maybe consider a big brake kit.
Passat brakes suck? Maybe you should try driving american cars that still use drums... Passat brakes are great and the rotors are larger than most cars

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
timimmings said:
VWPassatGLX155 said:
Passat brakes suck? Maybe you should try driving american cars that still use drums... Passat brakes are great and the rotors are larger than most cars
If they are so great , why am I changing them every 5 months ( rotors and pads ) ? :crazy:

·
Registered
168 Posts
wow- i have had my car now for 14mths going on 15 and my brakes are awsome. they do everything i demand of them and more. i of course dont Grandma my breaks driving Slam on them everytime. when i need to be agressive on the breaks they perform everytime. just did an inspection of forward and aft breaks and they are well within wear. of course i drive 50 50 local and hwy.

Its pretty much peoples driving styles i guess. if your going to floor the car often at a red light then have to aggressively compensate breaking often then your breaks will wear often and your highly recommended to upgrade your breaking system to something more than stock.

thats my 2cents worth and yes compared to AMERICAN omg these breaks are a pleasure...

ganx14
2003 glx v6 30v
:weirdo: :lol:

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
johnnyriv said:
timimmings said:
VWPassatGLX155 said:
If they are so great , why am I changing them every 5 months ( rotors and pads ) ? :crazy:
maybe because you keep putting OEM back in? The next time my brakes need replacing i'm putting in slotted w/mintex red box, maybe even some stainless steel brake cables

·
Registered
191 Posts
VWPassatGLX155 said:
You may want to consider upgrading to slotted or cross drilled, or if you have the money, maybe consider a big brake kit.
I'm not a real fan of the brakes on my 2004 GLX, either. I think they are undersized for the car. Do you have any recommendations for big brake kits? I am relatively new to Passats. Yes, they are heads above American cars.....

Bill

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I do mostly city driving and I'm really not heavy on the brake pedal
I do not think the pads are worn either , maybe they didn't fix the problem the last time I went to dealer. Although ever since my brakes squeal and just recently a feel pulsating again.

Got any ideas on what's happening , they ( the dealer ) said that they changed rotors and not sure of the pads .

Are brakes covered in the 2 year bumper 2 bumper warranty?

Ganx14 said:
wow- i have had my car now for 14mths going on 15 and my brakes are awsome. they do everything i demand of them and more. i of course dont Grandma my breaks driving Slam on them everytime. when i need to be agressive on the breaks they perform everytime. just did an inspection of forward and aft breaks and they are well within wear. of course i drive 50 50 local and hwy.

Its pretty much peoples driving styles i guess. if your going to floor the car often at a red light then have to aggressively compensate breaking often then your breaks will wear often and your highly recommended to upgrade your breaking system to something more than stock.

thats my 2cents worth and yes compared to AMERICAN omg these breaks are a pleasure...

ganx14
2003 glx v6 30v
:weirdo: :lol:

·
Registered
168 Posts
im not a fan of dealerships as with my experiences they treat people like they know nothing at all and try to BS customers when they can get away with it. example my tech tried to tell me that v6 engine does not have spark plug wires... :) i told them to go fly a kite :) they are called ignition wires :)

well anyway i would recommend you call vwoa and explain what service was done and explain what your still feeling. or discuss with the vw service manager in charge at your dealership. you would be surprised if you deal with the person in charge :)

ok good luck!
ganx14

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
johnnyriv said:
timimmings said:
VWPassatGLX155 said:
That is very strange. I had mine rotors up to 50000 miles and pads I am changing on 15000 miles. When I swap my front brakes for BBK GT from Brembo, OE rotors were in perfect condition. I agree that there is problem in braking with OE brakes on V6 but I think that it is more to suspension than to brakes. When I changed my suspension to Koni Yellow (and put 1/2 trn on front and 1/4 turn on rear)+ 1BE springs, I was amased how braking was improved (better modulation,less force,etc.).

·
Registered
991 Posts
When I changed my suspension to Koni Yellow (and put 1/2 trn on front and 1/4 turn on rear)+ 1BE springs, I was amased how braking was improved (better modulation,less force,etc.).
I agree. Before I changed to my Porsche Boxter setup, the factory brakes were pretty good in dry conditions with my suspension upgraded to 1BE. The rotors were a little warped due to my fault of massive repetitive braking on going deep before sharp turns. However, the warping was very minor, only felt during extreme braking.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
mackman said:
how hard are the camshaft seals to do?
if you don't have the special tools, you will have a very tough time.
camseals on v6's leak, but the more common leak is from the camshaft adjuster gasket. camshaft removal is necessary-and there are more special tools for that.

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
I guess the OEM brakes suck if you drive the car in an aggressive manner not normally suited for a family car. Or maybe it's more the recent year models? My 2002 GLX is still on factory equipment and I think the brakes are fine. I do some hard braking from time to time, but I don't generally drive around city streets like I'm on a race track. If you are changing pads and rotors every 5 months under normal driving conditions, then I agree that would suck, but it certainly has not been my experience.

·
Registered
177 Posts
how often do the camshaft seals wear out, or did I miss that thread? My V6 seems to be leaking around the valve covers, And I've got alot of oil on my hoses in front of my engine. Sound familiar to anyone?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
About this Discussion
16 Replies
13 Participants
Passaton18s
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing