Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, first I want to take a moment to thank all of you for your support over the past two years in my passion with the B5! This forum has made owning a Passat more fun than any other car I've previously owned.

Last Thursday morning an overloaded log truck was merging on to a freeway access road as I was about to merge onto the freeway. The truck rolled onto its side and slammed into the concrete barrier seperating the lanes of traffic. I collided with about 10,000 pounds of flying concrete at 60mph, flipping my car twice, tearing the bottom of the engine off and eventually landing turned around and on the drivers door in the water that runs along that road. I have absolutely no memory of the events I describe but have been told that I must have kicked out the sunroof and gained my freedom crawling up to the road from the water and muck. The terrible thing is that during this whole ordeal I was on the phone (with a headset btw) with my fiance and she had to wonder what in the world was happening. My first clear statement was "I was in a terrible accident and I'm bleeding" At that point the phone was taken away from me and she was informed that I was bleeding mainly from the nose. I spent the day in the hospital getting more tests that I knew existed, but was released by early evening.

I tell this story because I want all of you to understand what a safe vehicle we own. I went to see what was left of my "baby" the following day and nearly dropped to the ground. There was not once pices of straight sheet metal to be found. One of the front wheels and drive axle was ripped clean off and another wheel was destroyed. As I stated earlier, the bottom of the engine was ripped off as well. The cool part is that all the airbags deployed as engineered, the seatbelt retractor did it's job and the passenger compartment was for the most part, untouched.

For legal reasons I cannot comment on my physical condition other than to say that I am bumped and bruised for sure with a broken collar bone, but ALIVE!!! ...and that my friends is all that is really important. For all the time and money spent on my B5, I still feel that it was money well spent. The car did what it was it was supposed to do, it gave it's life for mine! :wink:

Unfortunately my laptop computer, along with many other possesions were lost in the accident and I cannot post pictures of the car at this time. If one of you would be kind enough to host them for me, I'd gladly email a few of them to you because the pictures speak louder than I can.

I will be back with a new Passat, or perhaps an Audi in due time, but I will never forget each of you and all the support you've offered over these past few years in the meantime.

David
View my profile

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
Glad you're okay -- I can post the pictures if you want; PM me for details.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Glad your ok!!! i'll be interested to see the pictures as well. Are you planning on another Passat???

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
Dude, I would give you a pat on the back, and tell you that I am glad you are alive! So here you go, I am glad your alive, and yes our cars are very safe! They are not TIN!

Dude, I am sorry for what happened! That totally sucks! :cry:

Stay alive, and keep modding when you get your new B5, not an Audi :lol:

Rich :wink:

·
Registered
34 Posts
My Passat wagon was totalled about 6 months ago with wife driving and three 8-year-olds in the back seat. She was transporting kids on a school field trip. An SUV ran a red at 40 mph and hit her on right front. Nobody hurt. Kids had some bruising from the shoulder strap. Side bags deployed and strangely, the passenger front bag deployed, but nobody was in the seat. She had a stack of books in the seat, and they said that the car sensed the weight and fact that the seat belt was not fastened, and therefore deployed. Anyway, I too was very impressed with how the car protected the occupants. Went out and bought another. Wouldn't own any other car for hauling kids around.

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
Very glad to hear that you came through that ordeal and can post about it so soon afterwards! Thanks for sharing that with us and its re-assuring that our B5's are designed and engineered to save lives as well as help us enjoy it. Hope you keep on Dubbin' for a long time to come.

Can't cram for life's exams. Wishing you good health and a speedy recovery.

·
Registered
7,591 Posts
Wow - what an ordeal! Hope all heals quickly. Nice endorsement of the Passat's safety features!

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
WOW. What an amazing car we drive... and I'm glad you're okay! :nervous: The safety factor is one of the reasons why I picked a Passat- I feel so safe in that tank. d_leonidas- will insurance let you buy a new one?

Another way to look at this- there's nothing wrong with spending lots of time taking care of your Passat and giving it everything it 'needs' because it's there to serve you throughout the trials and tribulations of your life on the go. And that includes its will to take its life to save the lives of yourself and your occupants. Drive on! :thumbup:

·
Registered
3,847 Posts
d_leonidas, I'm so sorry to hear about your accident, but also very glad to hear that you are well. I was looking forward to meeting you at the Mt. St. Helens GTG on the 19th, but it sounds like you won't be making it. I would love to see the pics of your poor, brave passat, so E-mail me some pics if you can and I will post them for you. I wish you good luck and a speedy recovery. :bow: :thumbup:

1 - 20 of 66 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.