Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2003 1.8t variant thinks that the key is still in the ignition after it's been removed. The door chime dings when the door is opened and the radio stays on.

At the same time, the door locks quit responding to the remote.

I've been searching and reading all the CCM related posts here, and I disconnected my negative battery cable for 15 minutes (to reset the CCM), but that didn't fix it. I've never noticed any wetness in my driver's side floorboard, and there's none there now.

Could this be an ignition problem instead of CCM? Would an ignition problem affect the door/lock remote?

Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
Lift up the trim, carpet, & floorboards and look at the CCM itself... it may have gotten wet weeks ago and the rust is finally setting in.

Do you have a lot of other stuff attached to your ignition key (heavy keychain, etc.)? Is the key hard to turn?

Long shot: does the engine turn off when it's supposed to? Do you have a turbo timer? If you're not the first owner, maybe they had one?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Pete1,

Thanks for your response.

I will take a look under the carpet as soon as I can. There's no turbo timer - the engine shuts off fine.

The key is not hard to turn, but I do have a lot of keys on the keychain. Does that cause a problem?

Thanks again.

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
ronellis said:
The key is not hard to turn, but I do have a lot of keys on the keychain. Does that cause a problem?
The extra weight swinging around *could* eventually damage the starter switch (it's not very common, but it's possible)

If the CCM doesn't look damaged, I'd suggest looking into the starter switch wiring next. Unfortunately the starter wiring is a PITA to get access to (makes the car harder to "hotwire").

Can you find a vag-com near you? It's likely that there are some error codes stored, even though your CEL isn't on.

·
Registered
18 Posts
if you turn the steering wheel after removing the key from the ignition untill the steering lock engage does that work whit the stereo and doorlocks? "Shuting the stereo off etc"

·
what the heck is an echo of gecko anyways...
1,960 Posts
I had this same exact issue for about a week, and then it just went back to normal one morning. Never did figure out what caused it, but it's good to know some things to check if it returns.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Goffen,

The steering wheel won't even lock... I guess that only happens after the key's been removed. It obviously thinks it hasn't been.

Another Observation-

The ignition used to make a distinctive "click" when I removed the key. It does not make that click anymore. Does something close in the ignition when the key is removed?

Will a Passat's doors lock or unlock with the remote while the key is in the ignition?

If not, my problems are probably related - Ignition only. If so, I may have two separate problems - Ignition and CCM.

I appreciate your responses.

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
ronellis said:
Will a Passat's doors lock or unlock with the remote while the key is in the ignition?
No, they wont.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^

It seems like you have some debris stuck up inside the lock cylinder -- it's wedging the key-removal pin open.

$20 to an indy. locksmith might get this fixed... they should be able to clean the innards of the lock, especially if you can remove the upper cover on the steering column for them.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I would try to "Blow" some graphite powder into the ignition cylinder, not too much though and rub a little on the key and work it in and out..

1 - 11 of 11 Posts