Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was on my way to dubdash this year and no sooner then I hit the expressway I'm coming around a turn about 65-70 and my drink spills from my cup holder into my lap, I grab it and look up and realized how close I was so I stepped on the gas, so I wouldn't hit the front end, and slid right into the concrete retaining wall sideways. I had the RS4 reps on that stuck out about 3/4ths of in on front and rear, and they saaved my cars body. The rims and suspension took the whole hit. Insurance gave 1100 for the rims and the rest of the damage is right around 5500. Lesson learned, no more drinks in the car!;)
Cooter

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
about 5 minutes south of Cinci, like 50 minutes north of Lexington. Or just Crescent springs if anyone knows where that is, haha.
Cooter

·
Grinding Gears...gone fishing!
22,610 Posts
the cup holders are reated up to 40mph. anything after that you are on your own.
where are the pics?

·
Registered
4,611 Posts
this happened to me once, but it was in my ford aerostar, and it wasnt my drink. my friend put his drink on my dash, and then i had to take a quick turn, and the drink just fell into my lap and in instinct i went for the drink, but i kept turning and i jumped a curb and almost hit a telephone pole. what a night. this was many years ago, and now i banned the guy from sitting in the front :)

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
^ or not drink when while you drive.. but I guess that's what automatic transmition does to you.
when you drive, drive. when you re tursty, stop, drink. then drive again.

·
Registered
126 Posts
HEY! I used to live in Lexington! Beautiful city! Tates Creek Middle School Alumni..moved back before I was done high school! Used to live off of Armstrong Mill.

All VW cupholders are useless...it's not just a passat thing.

P.S. This is the reason that european cars didn't used to have cupholders!!!!

·
Registered
356 Posts
My friend used to say that BMW used to have fits because the US market wanted to have cupholders in their cars. I suspect that they were appalled that people would want to drink anything when driving. Of course this was long enough ago that the autobahn was probably a lot more empty and speeds were up. Drinking McDonalds coffee at 115 mph might be interesting from a lawsuit point of view. =)

·
Registered
15,829 Posts
I'd be pretty dehydrated on vacation if I had to wait til lunch or dinner to stop and have a drink of something. You just need a decent cupholder, a cup that fits into it, and don't mess with your drink anytime except on the straightaways.

And yes, if you follow those rules, you can drink and drive a stick.

·
RETIRED Super Stealth Moderator
27,883 Posts
I'd be pretty dehydrated on vacation if I had to wait til lunch or dinner to stop and have a drink of something. You just need a decent cupholder, a cup that fits into it, and don't mess with your drink anytime except on the straightaways.

And yes, if you follow those rules, you can drink and drive a stick.
:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: agreed. that would be me, with coffee in the morning on my commute to work, manual tranny and all.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
No pics its already in the shop, I just bought the new style RS4 rims today 683.19 shipping included, hopefully I wont screw them up too.
Cooter

·
Registered
126 Posts
:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: agreed. that would be me, with coffee in the morning on my commute to work, manual tranny and all.
Or if your acutally being careful and driving like a sane person, you should be able to juggle a coffee, an egg mcmuffin, and still be able to drive.

Used to juggle my coffee muffin and smoke at the same time in my old 16vRoc, no cupholders, the smaller diameter momo wheel helped big time.....I swear the stock steering wheels in those cars were lifed from mac trucks!

·
Moderator/Administrator
25,300 Posts
No problems here. I hold the drink down when turning. I woulda bought an A4 avant, except fo the one crappy dash mounted cupholder.
I see that the B6 a4's now have it next to the e-brake like my B5.5 and most other cars.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts