Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My car shuts off randomly every now n then. I replaced the battery n the alternator n the starter is good. Idk what's going on. I took it to auto parts store n had the whole system checked. No check engine lights or anything. I drive the vehicle back n forth to work n this happens around 70degree weather. Always when I stop at a light, never when actually rolling/driving after about 20mins of driving. I also drive wit headlights on most of the time. Please help guys this has happened 5 times in a period of 3weeks!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Also I forgot to mention that when I try to crank it back up it does crank up immediately wit. O stutters or issues but then idles until I press on the accelerator then dies...

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
It would help if we knew what year car, how many miles, 1.8 or v6? First thought that came to my head was fuel supply. When's the last time you changed your fuel filter?

·
Registered
147 Posts
My car shuts off randomly every now n then. I replaced the battery n the alternator n the starter is good. Idk what's going on. I took it to auto parts store n had the whole system checked. No check engine lights or anything. I drive the vehicle back n forth to work n this happens around 70degree weather. Always when I stop at a light, never when actually rolling/driving after about 20mins of driving. I also drive wit headlights on most of the time. Please help guys this has happened 5 times in a period of 3weeks!
this has happened to me a few times, it stopped a LONG time ago though, also when im a bit too close to the wheel im a pretty tall guy about 6'1 my knee kicks the key and turns the car off sometimes, this especially happened at stoplights. im pretty sure this isnt your problem though, you should bring it in to a professional!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, Im sorry to mention the specs.

It is 1.8Turbo B5 1998. GLS
Just replaced fuel filter not too long ago so i really doubt thats the issue.
Is there a way to test the pressure of the fuel pump? and if so, what should it be pushing.

·
Founder of the STFA
8,667 Posts
Is the car chipped?

Otherwise I'd say bad ground maybe.

·
Registered
596 Posts
That happened to me once when my battery cable terminal wasn't tight enough. If not that, the next step I'd take would be to check the power lines to their grounding points.

·
In reverse, but chained to a tree.
13,906 Posts
this has happened to me a few times, it stopped a LONG time ago though, also when im a bit too close to the wheel im a pretty tall guy about 6'1 my knee kicks the key and turns the car off sometimes, this especially happened at stoplights. im pretty sure this isnt your problem though, you should bring it in to a professional!
dude... back away from the wheel and learn to live with a different driving perspective. if you're jammed up there like i think you are...
if you ever get into a collision, your chest is going to get caved in my a bomb going off. the bomb inside of your steering wheel airbag.

you never comprehend how powerful those suckers are till you see one shoot 30 feet in the air. :nervous:

·
Registered
26,310 Posts
If the car is running smooth, the engine speed sensor is the problem. If the car is running rough when it stalls, the throttle body should be cleaned.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If the car is running smooth, the engine speed sensor is the problem. If the car is running rough when it stalls, the throttle body should be cleaned.
I thank you very much for confirming this because just today, It happened AGAIN. I stepped out, Did the Throttle body adjustment (Open hood, door open and turn key) then it started right up like nothing happened And i drove home. I am going to clean the throttle and make sure everything is tight. If problems persist im gonna purchase another one..

·
Resident a-hole knowitall
15,715 Posts
shouldn't need a new one, just a good cleaning and an alignment.

·
Registered
180 Posts
if it does it again there is a relay in the black box under the hood that sometimes gets hot and shuts the car off I had this problem before. car will run great and just die like you turn the key off then after it sits for a bit it will start.. I can't remember the relay number I have a thread on here somewere about it I will try to find it

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
if it does it again there is a relay in the black box under the hood that sometimes gets hot and shuts the car off I had this problem before. car will run great and just die like you turn the key off then after it sits for a bit it will start.. I can't remember the relay number I have a thread on here somewere about it I will try to find it
It did it again, and i appreciate u guys helping out cos i know nothing about these relays or whatever.

·
Registered
386 Posts
It did it again, and i appreciate u guys helping out cos i know nothing about these relays or whatever.
I would also think that this is related to engine speed sensor. Had same problem years ago with our jetta, it would just die randomly at the lights , while idling. Scan repeatedly showed nothing, until the sensor finally died.
kamil

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I would also think that this is related to engine speed sensor. Had same problem years ago with our jetta, it would just die randomly at the lights , while idling. Scan repeatedly showed nothing, until the sensor finally died.
kamil
I really would like to believe thats the issue because its an inexpensive fix.
HOWEVER, I just changed the speed sensor not a month ago.. :/
And it is not acting funny on the dash like it usually does when it goes bad.

·
Registered
5,401 Posts
The relay labeled "30" will shut off the ECU or trigger CELs when it becomes intermittent/flaky, either because of a cold solder joint or burned relay contacts. (Been there ... done that.) $20 part in stock at a local VW dealership.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hello. I know this post is a little old but I just bought my son a 2012 Passat. He told me that it shut off on him the other day at a stop light. It does start right back up so I would not think something is hot like a relay. Any ideas?

·
Administrator
23,414 Posts
You might want to post this in the B7 forums. Vastly different animal than the B5/B5.5

1 - 20 of 37 Posts