Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my indy mechanic just did lots to my '03 Passat GLX wagon in the last few months. New vacuum lines, breather tube, spark plugs, B1S1 oxygen sensor, new engine coil pack, new compressor, new shocks, etc. It's close to 150,000 miles and needed a lot of updating.

On a trip to my old homestate for my family member's funeral, the car was fine. (It was also fine last week on a 12 hour trip.)

Suddenly last night driving in town it felt like it was going to blow up. It started shuddering at a stoplight, the CEL started flashing, and the RPMs would suddenly hiccup and the car would almost "cough." It smelled like eggs and was smoking (cat converter has been slightly "chirping" for a while and my mech says it may need a new one soon). It also sounded like a car suddenly without a muffler, loud and deep.

I manage to get it to a local indy shop (Bosch authorized and recommended by a friend). They had it all day yesterday and could NOT get it to duplicate what it did the night before! The codes they cleared were as follows:

17831 Sec. air injection system bank 1
17801 ignition coil power output 1
16684 random multiple cylinder misfire detected
16690 cyl 6 misfire
16685 cyl 1 misfire
16543 oxygen lambda sensor B2 S2 response too slow - inter.

I have a six hour trip ahead of me in the next few days back home. The indy mech. here said they just could NOT get it to do what it did and could not figure out why it did what it did. My mech. back home suggested they check if it might be a cracked flex pipe on the cat, but the mech. here said he checked that and it was OK.

I'm so nervous about getting back home, but I would much rather my mechanic look at it and try to figure things out.

Any thoughts, experts here? BTW, it really is running like a top at the moment, so I am stumped as well. :banghead:

·
Registered
3,204 Posts
I believe cylinders 1 and 6 are on the same coil, the end with the wiring connector. Was it raining or damp when the problem occurred? At night, in a dark place, not under a street light and with the hand brake pulled, try misting the coil with a spray bottle and see if there is arcing and the same situation does not occur. It may require replacing the coil.

If it is going to be dry, you may not have a problem, but with the rain here in NC and in southern VA, I doubt it. The coil is an easy replacement, if that is the problem.

Doug

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the advice. (Would a brand new coil pack have problems, though? He put it in about a month ago.)

Also I am in NC and the rain has been terrible, so it may well be the moisture.

·
Registered
3,204 Posts
Generally, the new coil pack should not have these issues. But the codes shown are suspicious for the 1/6 combination of misfires and are on the same coil. The error code for the ignition coil power output leads toward that thought as well.

Doug

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks. I will take the codes to my mechanic when (if?!) I get back to the VA area. So far, driving it around town, the car has been fine. Fingers crossed for the six-hour drive home this weekend.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It started acting up again today about 15 miles from home after an uneventful six-hour trip back (flashing CEL, stuttering). Oh well! It's back to the indy shop we go.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
No, no rain. Dumped two bottles of Techron into 1/4 tank to see if that would help. (Did that last week also.)

Taking it to my trusted local indy mechanic tomorrow to read the new codes. *sigh* I see more of him than my friends these days! :p

·
Registered
3,204 Posts
Tonight in the dark, with the hand brake on and the lights off, start the car and take a squirt bottle and mist the coil. See if you get lightning/arcing on the driver side coil pack.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Was still misfiring and chugging loudly and smelling badly every now and then. Yesterday my indy mech. replaced wires with Bremi ones, swapped out the new Meyle coil with a Bremi coil pack, and replaced the clamps on my cats. (I hope ECS will take back the Meyle coil.)

Fingers crossed--so tired of this issue! I love my car and just want it to be reliable. :driving:

·
Registered
9,980 Posts
Why was the original coil pack replaced ?
If you had this "17801 ignition coil power output 1" fault before, the problem could be a short or open circuit
between coil 1/6 signal connector and the ECU, or a faulty ECU. I hope it's not, good luck.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
My indy mechanic (2nd generation VW repair shop here in town--great local reputation so he can be trusted) said my original coil pack finally failed. He showed it to me and parts of it looked almost--burned up? Anyway, I bought a Meyle coil pack that was fairly cheap. That was a really bad decision, because after a couple of weeks of no problems the problems started again, worse than before.

I'm hoping it's cured now. I'll update if it's not.

·
Registered
9,980 Posts
I was not suggesting that your mechanic or anyone had done anything wrong, that code indicates a fault most likely in the coil pack.
I posted that info in case the fault comes back, so you will have at hand. I don't think it is likely.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks! I can use all the advice and help I can get. Much appreciated. :thumbup:

This forum is a wealthload of good information!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts