Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
797 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was browsing the VWoA website today and found a nice feature that allows you to see the service schedule for your car:

http://www.vw.com/myvw/yourcar/maintenance/findschedules/en/us/

It seems to agree with the schedule I was originally given (PDF here)
but it only goes to 100K miles not 105K so it doesn't show you the replacement interval for the timing belt. It is more specific on front axle checks, and it shows brake fluid change and airbag check intervals more clearly.

Comparing the schedule to what I read on these forums, a few things jump out:

1. Timing belt interval is way too long, should be 75K miles
  2. There is no recommendation to change differential fluid
  3. There is no recommendation to change ATF
  4. There is no recommendation to check sunroof drains for clogs
Is there a consensus recommendation among PW'ers on an enhanced maintenance schedule that really covers what needs to be covered? If not I think it'd be great to hash out a consensus on the board and post an alternate schedule.

Also, I've never changed my brake fluid or differential fluid, 11 years/75K miles, so far so good, how risky is this?

·
Registered
12,077 Posts
[*]There is no recommendation to change differential fluid
Interesting. My 2000 came with a sticker under the hood specifying differential fluid at 30,000 miles. Only sticker under there; no timing belt notification like some others have.

·
Registered
817 Posts
I would be more inclined to say timing belt every 60k or 6 years.

Brake fluid schedule is in there, every two years way at the bottom of the PDF you have in your post.

ATF every 60k, according to the maintenance schedule printed in the Bentley service book.

·
Registered
797 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Brake fluid schedule is in there, every two years way at the bottom of the PDF you have in your post.

ATF every 60k, according to the maintenance schedule printed in the Bentley service book.
I agree - that's why I said the new schedule shows brake fluid change interval more clearly.

Does the Bentley service book list anything else that differs from the schedule I posted above? At least reconciling the Bentley vs. VWoA's current schedule would be useful.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts