Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:cry: Lots of weather related road damage around here. I just had a big chunk of loose asphalt flip up and hit my lower rocker panel trimwork when I drove over it. :(

The rockers are the black plastic trim that runs just below the doors on the sides. My question is has anyone replaced this stuff? Can it be done by us or is it a dealer kind of replacement project?

Also, anyone know what the replacement pieces go for down there?

The damaged areas are the areas shown in black along the bottom of the doors on the side. The front door rocker took most of the damage. :(

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
not hard if you have a few tools and are willing to take a saturday off to screw around with em :thumbup: then you can have a few :beer: to complement the nice work you've done :thumbup:

·
Registered
5,335 Posts
When I busted up the front "spoiler" (the black plastic piece below the front bumper cover), I just went ahead an bought the part, and figured that if I couldn't figure out how to do the swap by looking at the new part, there was no harm done by passing the part off to the dealer and having them do it.

Go ahead and buy the part, and give it a go... if it doesn't work out, it isn't the end of the world.

SirWired

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
I had to replace the entire driver's side rocker panels and door trim. All you need is some torx bits and you are good to go. I bought all my pieces from Liberty VW with our discount. Total was just a tad over $200.00 shipped.

HTH,
Lelo

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Leloz said:
I had to replace the entire driver's side rocker panels and door trim. All you need is some torx bits and you are good to go. I bought all my pieces from Liberty VW with our discount. Total was just a tad over $200.00 shipped.

HTH,
Lelo
What do you mean by the "door trim" as well Leloz? Do you mean the chrome door trim bits that are on B5.5's were included in your pricing? $200.00 seems a bit steep for a couple of black plastic pieces (I'm hoping) :cry:

·
Registered
37 Posts
i replaced the lower trim on myy 5.5 after a floor jack incident. Very easy to do ,just needed to remove about 8 large torx screws(t25? I bought one for $3 at autozone). Once you have the replacement piece, you'll know exactly where the screws are located. Price for one side was $100 at a local dealer. It was not in stock but came in within 3days.

Regarding your post to leloz, part of the cladding is applied to the doors,if you open your doors and the damage moves with them, you have some additional items to replace. good luck

1 - 8 of 8 Posts