Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5,564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, with SNKVNNM taking up nearly every waking minute for the past year, I have really neglected this car. Well, that's going to change soon.

It's been awhile since I've posted on this forum for months but anyhow, I'm getting really really tired of smelling oil in the car. This weekend, I decided to figure out if the O-ring on the water cooler is the culprit. I already have a new one (only $5!) and decidded that while I'm down there cleaning up the 2 quarts of oil that I've lost, to replace both fender liners ( one got chewed up from the missing 1/4 turn bolts and flapping into the tires, the other from a hole I made for the SMIC vent that never materialized), the belly pan and bracket ( poor fluffy decided to reconfigure my belly pan. Stupid cat... well, it was alread dead when I hit it so I don't feel too bad.), and perform an oil change while I'm at it.

I also have to see if something came loose. I get a little knocking sound when I whip the steering left-to-right realy quick. Hmmm, maybe my Andy Bar got loose? DOwn pipe? Motor Mount? Not quite sure but will look into that as well. Of course I'm going to have to clean up all that oil everywhere. That's a chore in itself.

And I'm also replaceing the little weather strips on either side of the windshiled. both have crumbled away the first 2" from the top. It's very brittle.

Finally, if it comes in time, the switch for the sunroof. From about day one, this thing had a mind of it's own and it's just getting worse. Say bye-bye to that this weekend!!!!! While I'm up there, I bought the special grease as well because it's really groaning up there!

Total for the belly pan, pan bracket, weather strips, fender liners, grease, oil filter and switch was just over $400. IMO, that's not bad coming from VW. And the funny thing is , it was all in stock yeseterday except the switch. The guy says these are actually common replacement items since many of the models use the same parts. Funny, the Redwood City VW didn't have anything in stock. Go figure.

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
Welcome back! I cannot beleive you finished the Cobra in 1 year.
That's pretty good. You must've been eager to finish. Well it looks great,
I've been following your threads in anythingauto.

I've been pretty busy now that I have two B5's now... wifes A4 + Passat.
I feel like I'm here on CB5 more than ever. On the A4 alone I have in
one year:replaced front suspension w/febi kit, new brakes all around,
new front brake calipers, new metal & rubber front brake lines. Tranny
fluid/filter change. AutoRx. Repair dents & rust to various body panels,
paint hood,fenders, both bumpers, lwers on doors (rust), part of
hood (rust). Replaced lower door molding trim. Timing belt, tensioner,
all belts, waterpump,t-stat (twice), coolant sensor. valve cover gasket.
PCV system. plugs. air filter, cabin filter, fuel filter. pre 02 sensor.
replaced windshield top rubber gasket/weatherstrip. and just recently
bled the brakes... and that's just the A4.

·
Banned
8,975 Posts
Maybe next weekend you'll get around to adding a note to your TT install writeup that tells people they can tap right into the ignition switch, eh Herman?

:)

·
Registered
5,564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Chris: well, it depends upon where you start. It's 3 years from the time I bought the donor Mustang, but I did recieve the "kit" on 11/2/05 and as you know, registration just got completed on 11/14/06. It "should" have been regsitered on 10/30 if not for a technicality. In any case, it's ancient history now. Chris, just get your ass down to CA and I'll give you a ride you won't forget. :)

deusexaethera: I'll try to remember to update that.

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
you and me buddy, maybe we should get together one day and have "maintenance day" ... I need to flush my brakes, change vaccum lines etc...

·
Registered
706 Posts
Hey Herman,

Welcome back! I'd be happy to visit and help out, if you want. I'll be free on Sunday. Shoot me an email or PM. You haven't ridden in my car after I got the suspension all sorted out (likewise, I haven't seen your completed SNKVNNM)...

Andrew

1 - 7 of 7 Posts