Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone,

This is my 1st post here so excuse me if this question has been asked a gazillion times. I am looking at a 2001.5 Passat 1.8T auto with 43k miles on it. It has the Luxury package and I absolutely love the way this car drives. I have not driven a V6 yet. The car has had the coil pack replaced last year as I hear these have been a major problem. My question is are there any major reliability problems with the Passat and basically what to look for? Again I apologize if this question has been worn out.

Sam

·
Registered
213 Posts
samzx12 said:
Hello Everyone,

My question is are there any major reliability problems with the Passat and basically what to look for? Again I apologize if this question has been worn out.

Sam
My headlight bulbs were unreliable but that seems to have gone away.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I recently fell in love with the Passat as well. I bought the V6 5spd, because I love the sports car feel of that set up.. While it may not be as modifiable, if that is a word, it packs plenty of power and leaves little to be desired in any driving situation. The first thing I bought for mine was a radar detector. The possibility of problems you or I will encounter is seemingly endless, but I really think you roll the dice on any used car purchase. Timing belts apparently need to be changed around every 50k.
VW's are known for funny electronics. Power windows seem to be especially testy. Regulator replacement for each window runs about $100.
IMO, if you take care of the car, don't dog it out too much, keep the fluids changed on a regular basis, read the owners manual and get yourself a Bently repair manual, you will be in good shape.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Blue A is a lucky bastard (for obvious reasons). I bought my '00 Wagon 5spd 1.8t in Oct and, 10k miles/4 months later, I've had zero serious problems. Never refused to start, never left me stranded. It's only been a short time, but I've experienced -20F in NYC, and have driven it 5k miles in 15 days. I think that's a bit extreme, and it just took everything I had to throw at it.

One big kudos are the seats. I have the non-leather ones with adjustable lumbar support and they are the most comfortable seats for long-distance driving I've ever used. I recently drove for 20 hours straight and did not have any complaints. In my '97 Maxima SE with leather seats, I'd get back pain after just 5-6 hours.

If you're at all into modding, go for the 1.8t. Alhough stock it could have a bit more power (recent ones do have 20-or-so more horses), and it could/should get better mileage (blame the high gearing), it's very solid overall.

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
Timing belts apparently need to be changed around every 50k.
75K on the V6. Little red sticker under your hood near driver side headlight will confirm this.

I have a 99 with 60K on the clock that I picked up Dec 02. I have had no problems with it yet. But I was well aware of the potential for what things may go wrong before I made the purchase. I accepted the risk and haven't regretted it yet.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Do the timing belts need changing every 50k on the 1.8t or just the V6? So far as I have done some research the coilpacks were a problem and the MAF sensor. Other than that seems like electrical glitches here and there but nothing that will leave you stranded. I am going to keep my next car for awhile and dont want a money pit. I know the Japanese cars are very reliable but dont have soul like a VW does. I am also considering a 02 Maxima SE but like the Passat better.

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
:b5: ! :b5: ! :b5: !

You will be happy with your purchase, just make sure the one you were looking at had the coil packs changed already. And I would recommend a warantee just based on what I've read around here.

·
Registered
555 Posts
All cars will have their little quirks you know? If you are buying from a dealer, I recommend purchasing an extended warranty if the price is right.. just because piece of mind is worth it. Or, if buying from a private seller, make sure you see all the records for the vehicle. I did a TON of research on a lot of different cars, spanned over 3 or 4 months. I drove a 2000 Lincoln LS, Lexus ES 300, Toyota Camry, etc. And none of them had the overall comfort, handling, and pickup of the Passat V6 I test drove. All of the consumer reviews I read had their ups and downs for each car.
And I went on many forums, as you are, (lexusownersclub etc...) to find out how the drivers felt about their cars. And after it was all said and done, I bought the 00 Passat GLX with 49K miles. And I could not be happier with my decision.
I understand that the 1.8T are more "mod friendly" but Im not having any trouble finding mods for my V6.
I have never owned anything other than Volkswagens, and from my 57 Oval to the 92 Jetta, to the 2000 Passat, They have all been wonderful cars. And BTW, I caught a huge rash of sh*t for almost selling out to the japanese. Im may be a VW lifer :thumbup:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Matt we seem to be on the same page :lol: I dont have the resources to put alot of maint. into a car or want to for that matter. Just good reliable transportation and the Passat is a blast to drive. The car has character. I can get it for $14600-$14900. One of the good things about it it has the Luxury package(sunroof, leather, Monsoon, alloy wheels) and auto. Guess my lazy ass wants an automatic.

Sam

·
Registered
555 Posts
I'll tell you what, I paid 17400 for my passat out the door. I got all the adds your talking about, which is what I was after... I wanted luxury, affordablility, and reliability. And one of the main things I noticed was that I was getting the best of what VW had to offer, instead of the lowest model "luxury" car manufacturer's offered. (i.e. lexus es300, bmw325,volvoS70,) And on top of all that, these other cars cost a fortune to repair, and had just as many, if not more quirks. :p
Another thing is, Ive never owned an automatic, very glad I do now with the passat! Its ok to be lazy, just cut down on the beer........ Or not. :D

·
Registered
89 Posts
samzx12, another common problem is control arms. I don't know if this was fixed on the B5.5, but I seem to recall that it wasn't. This is a costly fix so make sure it's checked out and covered under warranty. Only other thing that hasn't been mentioned is window regulators - mine went at about 45K. From my experience, the V6 cars are more reliable than the 1.8T's so I would buy a V6 if I could do it over again.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Just do it. This is my first VW(previously only bought American) and now would buy at least one more, then would probably buy an Audi...but isn't it all the same... :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I went back to the dealer after work today to drive a V6 to see what it felt like. Definetly more torque down low. Once you get to 40-50 mph I couldnt tell a big difference between the 1.8t and V6.

Anyway when I got back to the lot I noticed the 1.8t GLS that I have been driving was gone. A couple came in and drove it. I told my salesman lets write up a deal on the 1.8t. The other couple had already said they wanted the car before my salesman could write it up. Damn this car was nice and well taken care of. I guess that car was not meant to be so the search goes on :sad:

Sam

·
Registered
773 Posts
The 1.8t is really meant to be mated to a manual. Like, a 6spd manual :D The US 5spd is badly geared for US highway speeds. I'm revving at ~3200 RPM at just 80 MPH, which has a negative impact on gas mileage.

I prefer the 1.8t to the V6, but if both are autotragic I'd take the V6. Which I wouldn't, really - I'd just keep looking for a 1.8t 5spd. Of course, there is also a 5spd V6 which, beside being very rare, is also this || close to making me forget the 1.8t. But I still prefer the 1.8t, although by a very slim margin.

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
1.8T belongs with the 5 speed not Auto. If you want auto get a V6 not the 1.8T. The auto with the 1.8T has no clue what to do because of the Turbo and gets totaly lost.
Just my 2 cents

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Warped said:
1.8T belongs with the 5 speed not Auto. If you want auto get a V6 not the 1.8T. The auto with the 1.8T has no clue what to do because of the Turbo and gets totaly lost.
Just my 2 cents
I have kind of noticed that driving at slower to medium speeds. Guess that is where the Tiptronic would come in to play.

Sam

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
About this Discussion
17 Replies
11 Participants
samzx12
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing