Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a silver w gray leather 2005 wagon 1.8t loaded to the hilt very clean and in excellent condition, but a blown motor... It was given as trade for work I did on a buddies car. Only has 140k miles on her. I just bought a dark blue 2003 1.8t wagon that has trashed tan cloth no sunroof whole Interior is trashed doesn't have steering wheel controls or any of the good stuff. Has 220k miles runs and drives but oil pump screen is clogged. I've had a few silver passats and the wife and I kinda like the blue for some reason... I'd have to swap entire interior , column, dash, pretty much the whole 9 yards.. The blue ones body and paint is really great! What would you do!?

·
I had a steering knuckle in my shed. Really!
4,159 Posts
Technically, at least in many states, you're not supposed to put a motor that's older than the car in. I know it's not a big issue, but I'd check that out first. Same engine code and tranny?

I also love a sunroof.

Pull the good motor, address all its issues, and install in the silver wagon. You can always have it painted ;).

·
Registered
877 Posts
Swapping out the seats, center console, pillar trim, kick panels, and door panels is pretty straightforward. Swapping the dash is an entirely different matter. You may find you're adding words to your vocabulary that you never used before. OTOH, if you do decide to swap out the dash, you might want to consider replacing the heater core while you're at it. I would assume that you may be able to use the additional components from the silver Passat and transfer them to the blue one, essentially converting a GLS model to a GLX, but I can't say for sure. It sounds like it could be an interesting project if you have the time and a warm place to work on it.

I would highly recommend taking lots of photos while removing the dash so you can retrace your steps when reconnecting everything. It would be a nice addition to the Information Base when you're done.

FWIW, a quality paint job can cost you more than the car is worth. I figure it will take the better part of a weekend to swap out the dash, if not longer. The seats and the rest of the interior can be done in a matter of hours.

·
Registered
4,819 Posts
One word killed it for me... "wagon".

Look for a replacement AWM 1.8T for the silver 05, sell the blue 03 (after fixing?) and look for another blue Passat wagon with ~70K - 80K fewer miles.

Here's the reality: You won't realize you should've left the interior in both cars alone (i.e. an interior swap) and just followed the above advice until you're half way through the job of swapping the interiors. VW plastic parts can be removed without breakage if they've been through seven summers or less...any older and too much of the plasticizer has evaporated out of the plastic for it to still be flexible enough not to break when you remove it.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I'd pull the blown motor, bore and hone it and drop in a 2.0T crank. Then add a BT, exhaust, and other necessary mods and reinstall. And the fun begins! In the mean time you can drive 'ol blue.

·
Registered
2001 Passat wagon; 2016 Golf Sportwagen
5,506 Posts
I would do an electric conversion, but I live in a benign climate, don't generally drive long distances, and have pretty decent access to charging stations near work and near home.

I concur with the others that an interior swap is not to be taken lightly.

I hope both cars get salvaged and used -- there is nothing like a B5/5.5 Passat wagon.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I appreciate everyone's input, gonna go with silver. I can't get used to the dark blue with the chrome strips... I know most people don't like the chrome on any of them I just don't mind it with the silver, even though it's easy to change... Plus I would have to change out entire dash.... I couldn't deal with all gray leather and a Black and Tan dash lol. Silver has an excellent working sounding monsoon system, and blue is base. Both motors are AWM both are auto but don't know if there's any difference in trans. Silver I think has a broken crank.. You put a socket and breaker bar on the crank, turn it and it moves but gets stuck and makes cracking noises, but if block is good it will definitely be another project for the future as in bore out to 2.0 like pony boy said. If I find a way to post pics you'll really see what I mean in all of this...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts