Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,

Just recently bought my Passat Sport 110 tdi, and happy 2 bits with it :D

But I've recently become a bit concernd about a whirring noise coming from the engine after I've switched it off. Call it paranoia :crazy: , but has anyone else experienced this?

Also, my central locking (when activated from inside) seems to miss out the passenger side door on the odd occasion, and the alarm/immobiliser does not always trigger my indicator lights to flash on/off when activated.

Gonna take my car to a VW Dealer to get this checked out.

Will post results when done.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi

I have a 99 passat which I have owned for about 2 years and although I can't help with the whirring noise :???: I have been experiencing the same problem with the passenger side lock and indicators for about the last year now.

I first noticed the lack of indicator signal when closing the car with the keyfob and asked my VW dealer to look into it during a service soon after. The answer I got on collecting the car was that it must be a faulty doorlock but that they would need the car longer for a thorough investigation. Having been assured that the alarm was arming regardless I took the car away with the intention of returning when the funds allowed. Shortly after this I noticed the passenger side lock either opening when only the driver door should open or not opening at all when all doors unlocked. This only happens intermittently and most times is alright. I'm guessing that this is the cause of the indicator problem but have not actually had it looked into any further as yet and having seen something elsewhere about the high cost of replacing the locking mechanism I am holding off for as long as possible.

Sorry I can't be of any definate help but maybe this will give you somewhere to start and I would be very interested to hear what your own dealer tells you.

Dee

·
I'm Urlik's Hero
9,783 Posts
Depending on the model, I believe there is something in the engine that squirts water to cool it down after switching off.

I may have misread this, or I may have foolishly misquoted someone, but that could be your noise <shrug>

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Guys,

My peeps keep telling me that the passenger side seat belt can sometimes feel quite tight, and that it is difficult to slacken the grip on the belt, uncomfortable :cry:

So I called my local VW dealer, and they advised me that this is normal, and that i should pull the seat belt out all the way until it stops, and then let the pre tensioners do their business and suck it all back in, and this should be fine.

Have not tried it yet, but will give it a go 2morrow.

Just wanted to know if anyone else has had the same problems?

Will also post results back of my encounter with the delaership when i take my honey their to get her central locking and alarm checked out...

WATCH THIS SPACE :shock:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi everyone,

I might be mistaken but i think the noise is the MAF that heats is little sensor (wire) up to 1000ºc when you switch off, to clean the sensor of anything that might affect is readings, but is only a guess.

I don´t understand very well what means "whirring".
:thumbup:

·
Registered
606 Posts
muchos_gracias911 said:
Also, my central locking (when activated from inside) seems to miss out the passenger side door on the odd occasion, and the alarm/immobiliser does not always trigger my indicator lights to flash on/off when activated.
Sounds like your passenger door lock mechanism is either faulty, or the microswitches need cleaning.

Take a look at the info here http://www.taligentx.com/passat/maintenance/doorlockmechanism/

Hope this helps.

Marc.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Problem fixed

Good news,

Took my car into the dealership on Monday to get the dodgy passenger side door lock looked into.

They managed to fix this and diagnosed the problem as a faulty door lock, and hence replaced it altogether.

This in turn resolved the problem regarding the alarm. Their explanation regarding this issue was down to the circuit not completing a full cycle when trying to activate the alrm due to the faulty lock.

Works fine now. Activated the central locking and alarm several times before driving off :D

Guys, just want to thank you all for your help and advice, biggup yoselves

:thumbup:

muchos_gracias911 signing off

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.