Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a previous problem with an oil pressure light going off on my 04 VW PASSAT back in august ... I TOOK THE CAR TO DEALER BACkIN AUGUST. THEY COULD NOT FIND ANYTHING WRONG THEY SAID MY OIL PRESSURE WAS GOOD, HOWEVER THEY DID A engine FLUSH AND THE LIGHT WENT OFF. tWO MONTHS HAd PASSED AND NOW THE OIL LIGHT IS BACK ON. i TOOK THE CAR IN TO THE DEALERSHIP.. THEY SAID THAT VW WARRANTY WOULD NOT COVER MY ISSUEbe cause i could not produce all my receipts. THEY INDICATED TO ME THAT IT WAS GOING TO BE THE OIL PUMP SCREEN THAT WAS CLOGGED UP AND THEY NEEDED TO REPLACE IT. BUT IN ORDER TO BE SURE THEY WOULD HAVE TO INSPECT CAR FOR 750.00 BUCKS. PLUS PARTS AND LABOR. I PULLED CAR FROM THEM CAUSE I WAS NOT GOING TO BE RIPPED OFF BY THEM SO I TOOK CAR TO MY MECHANIC BOUGHT THE OIL PUMP SCREEN FROM THE DEALERSHIP PARTS DEPT AND HAD MY MECHANIC CHANGE PARTS. but as he test drove the car the oil pressure light went off again at about 2000-2200 rpm's. noe the light there are times when it stays on and other time when it goes on and then off after a few seconds..my mechanic suggested i get rid of the car before the engine goes. so now i am lost not sure what else i can do to get this resolved i am so disappointed in vw and their cars. i have heard so many bad things of vw engines... i wish i would have known this when i bought the car... any one else has any idea what i can do next to try to resolve this issue....

·
Moderator/Administrator
25,300 Posts
hmmm...just going out on a limb....is there a pressure sensor that could be bad? VW cars/engines aren't bad, just the dealerships. You have heard so many things because most Americans think they can drive them without doing any maintenance. Wow, those caps gave me a headache.

·
Registered
5,404 Posts
Find a very good vw/audi specific mechanic, take it there. Where are you located? Maybe a member here can help. Honestly, if your mechanic is a do it all mech, he probably doesn't have the first clue about VAG engines.
Are you 1.8T, v6, or W8?
Have you been using sythetic oil?
Have you changed every 5k mi?
Ave you tried replaceing the sensor?

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
If you have a 1.8T the symptoms are typical of sludge. Use the sites search tool to research the word 'sludge' and you will understand. It is fairly common for sludge debris to clog the oil pump intake. Some people get warranty repairs, some change the oil pump, otheres try Auto-Rx. Myself took a risk and successfully remedied the problem with a can of 5-min engine flush and multiple oil changes.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I just went through this problem with my 2003 wagon with the 1.8 and 41K miles.

The oil light came on over 2000 rpm only while in drive. I tried an oil change and flush but it didn't help. I thought it was a sensor and brought it into the dealer on the advice of my local mechanic. They tested the engine with a pressure gauge and told me the pressure was low and gave me the readings. They said the oil pump must be repaiced at a cost of about $800.00.

They wanted all the receipts from my oil changes and it took a day or two but the repair, less the cost of the oil change was covered by VW. I'm upping the oil change interval to 4000 miles or less to hopefully avoid any future problems.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
where are the high and low pressure switched located on the 04 passat 1.8t

i am also running synthetic oil on the car mobil one

1 - 6 of 6 Posts