Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

Passat of the Month for September, 2011 - wrknbum (John)!

59K views 91 replies 66 participants last post by  Barzer1001 
#1 ·
For this month, we're moving almost as far east as you can go in the USA, across the continent of North America from our last POTM, to Little Rhody! That's right, the smallest state in the US is the home of this month's winner. John has slowly taken the time to modify his car to the vision he had in his head. I'm not sure if it is done yet or not, but it surely has come a long way since I first saw his car. It took a while to get this up due to John not having power due to Irene, and that made it tough for him to provide some of the info necessary to post this up, as well as my time to do it being somewhat difficult to find...

Congrats to wrknbum, on being selected as the POTM for September, 2011. Take it away, John!

wrknbum said:
First of all, let me say THANKS for nominating me and letting me join, in my opinion, an elite group. Also thanks to PW, the people who have answered my questions, who held garage days and had hands on my Passat. It would not look the way it does with out ya. :bowdown:
Next, a special thanks to my girlfriend who has not told me to go live in it!..........YET :lol:

I bought my Passat 6/3/08 with 42,608 miles on it. Currently, it has 59,470 miles on it. I was looking for a SAAB 9-5, Jaguar X Type, Volvo S80 or VW Passat at the time. I had requirements (color, options, etc...) for each that I wanted. After looking for 6 months at many of these cars, the local VW dealer called me and said they had what I wanted in N.J. It was a returned lease Certified pre-owned Passat with the options and in the model I wanted. I asked them to get pics for me, which they did, and I liked what I saw; so I had them truck it to R.I. After a final look-over and test-drive, I became the proud owner of a 2005 VW Passat 1.8T 4motion automatic. I didn't realize was fairly rare, and would have been more so if it was standard. Short time later I found PW and the mods began…

When I picked it up:

as you can see the date is off since its a 05 and it says 01:

Put on the wheels that you all know and hate :lol: - 19” EDR Emotions:

Then some other mods - a new head unit, amp, 12” subs, eye brows, eyelids, HID’s head lights and fogs, interior lights and trunk.

Head unit and blue floor lights:

I had a very busy off season this year as you will see.
Hosted a garage day and FK coilovers are in :barmy::

Body kit – Votex front and rear with Extreme sides, R32 grill, Thor skid plate, finished engine bay, started on the trunk . The wheels are 19” Flashpoints with an ET of 52, with spacers that are 17.5mm front and 20mm back, and smoked sides.
When tropical storm Irene left me without power for a week, I had to wait to upload more recent pics. Enjoy, and THANKS AGAIN!

Mods:
1. Audio system (ICE)
- AVH-P4200 dvd pioneer head unit
- Two 12" magnum subs
- 250 watt sony amp

2. Body/lighting
- eye lids
- eyebrows
- HID headlights and fogs

3. Other mods/upgrades/fixes
- Blue LEDs under the dash
- Thor skid plate
- Custom engine bay
- Mirrors under hood with a “68” VW bus emblem polished/refinished
- Custom trunk (inside edge of rear lights and trunk pumps to match engine bay), and a “78” VW emblem polished/refinished under trunk- trunk not finished yet
- Votex front and rear body kit with diffuser
- Sides are extrem dimensions
- R32 badgeless grill
- Stubby antenna

4. Suspension/Shoes
- Flashpoint 19x8.5 wheels with a 52 et, shod in Nexen N3000 235/35/19
- spacers 17.5 front 20mm back
- FK coilovers

5. Mods and Parts waiting to be installed
- Finish trunk
- Boost gauge
- Rear lip spoiler
- Custom headliner
- Possible carbon fiber wrap some interior pieces

I think that is it, but not sure. Should have kept a list.:p
THANK YOU PW! :thumbup:

#21 ·
Thanks man. Updates are going to take some time now. Money tight, holidays up soon. :(

Nice car. Really makes me wish I got those flashpoint wheels a couple months back for by black b5.5.
Keep your eyes open. Im sure someone must have gotting them to see what they look like at that price and now might sell.

This passat is prestine and yes it would have been a pius to have a manual. I didn't see anything about engine mods. IT would be a shame to have a nice looking car with no speed.
prestine-wow thanks.
I must disapoint you a little and say you are right when you said no engine mods. My first goal was to spend the money where it is can be seen and notice the most. Im not munch of a hands on mechanic, but am getting better thanks to PW. Engine mods are on the list, but nothing realy major I don't think.

Thanks Again!

#32 ·
Congrats man, you've earned it.
Thanks guys.

Congrats John... your car is rare and so clean. Plus... despite what Jay says, you're a great guy, too. ;)
thanks! its not the fist time i heard that. your just the only one to type it. :lol:

Congratulations on POTM, good bless you and your fam from the devastation of irene
Thank for you kind words. We made it ok. I guess it could have been worse.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.