1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
PassatWorld Staff
12,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Passat of the Month - September 2006
Arjen Koers (dutch-mountains)
Groningen, the Netherlands

I would like to thank the PassatWorld moderators for selecting my car as POTM. It's a great honor and privilege to be among the ranks of all those beautiful and inspiring Passats.

It started back in 2004 when my family grew, we needed a car with lots of space, comfort and reliability. There was no need to look for a specific brand because I already liked the B5 wagon by design, and it met our requirements as well. As we weren't going to use the car often I started looking for a 1.8 engine model. After a while I found one for a decent price and right before the testdrive the seller told me the engine actually was a 1.8T, he got the ad wrong. I already drove the 1.6 and 1.8 models and was truly impressed by the power of the turbocharged one. After some negotiating I bought the wagon that same day. Some minor dings were fixed; new tires and a new timing belt were fitted. As the interior was a bit worn I replaced all doortrims, shiftboot and floormats.

At that time I knew nothing about the B5 in general but after searching on the Internet I soon read about chipping and was very interested in gaining more power. Having a background as an electronics technician I took the plunge and soldered the chip myself. I have to admit it was an exiting moment when I cranked the engine for the first time! The increased power felt great and that was the moment the mod bug hit me. I started searching and learning about the B5 and the 1.8T engine but couldn't find much useful information on European sites until I accidentally came upon PassatWorld (ClubB5 back then). Literally tons of information related to my B5 and more. After the countless hours of searching and reading I joined PassatWorld. All those beautiful Passats inspired me for doing so; CRD99's sedan comes to my mind thinking about one. I really admire his achievement.

First I started to replace the diverter valve, all vacuum lines and swapped the stock airbox for an induction kit. After tinkering with larger injectors/MAF housing, MBC and diodes I decided to get a K04 turbo upgrade. This decision was purely based on all the positive stories, a great write-up and the available software without the need to tune the setup. Besides, I'm not that mechanically inclined to manage a custom install myself, and the estimated power of the K04 seemed enough. I got the necessary software through UPsolute (thanks Scott for all your effort). At that time I was already familiar with VAG-COM and created my own set of graphs. Here is my latest one with the K04:

The logs even convinced me to swap the 18" heavyweights for the much lighter 16" BBS wheels I already had. The engine is running fine these days and I'm very satisfied with the looks and power right now. I still have a few modifications to carry through in the near future; A8 front rotors and a full cat-back exhaust to let the K04 really breathe.

I’m very proud featuring the first Passat of the Month from the Netherlands and I would like to thank all of you for having such a great community. Also special thanks to ONE8T and modifiedA4 for all your technical support and insights, you really helped me through several issues I could never solve without you. I'm planning to keep and maintain the wagon as long as possible with the shared knowledge on PassatWorld. Thanks again for this great honor.

-Arjen

·
Registered
3 Posts
versace_v said:
still look nice buti think my ride look much betta inside and outside. more pics to come.
sam
Pics removed. And one week vacation for defacing this thread.
And I think your car looks like ass. Messy ass, that needs to be wiped. :thumbdown :thumbdown
You are so far away from POTM, it's laughable. :lol:

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Congrats D-M!
I got a lot of good info from you during the years. Never had time to thank you really. THANKS MAN! Greatdwrite up about relocating the DV. It's my next mod.
Did you buy the sideskirts? I really hope so since they're real Votex.......

//Staffan aus Sweden

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
Thank you all!!

It made a big difference changing the heavy 18's to the much lighter 16's. I'm keeping the 16's although the 18's looked much better.

I changed my mind about the Votex skirts, I also replaced the roof rails with the stock black ones as they are a better match to the rest of the car.

·
needs more cowbell
5,946 Posts
congrats dutch-mountains, a great car! :)

1 - 20 of 59 Posts