Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 197 Posts

·
RETIRED Super Stealth Moderator
27,900 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
And now for something completely different!!! Congrats, Eric!

My Passat looks bone stock from the outside.

The inside looks stock too, so I didn't bother posting a picture.

The motor is only 90hp because I removed the turbo. ;)
I removed the cats and muffler at the same time I removed the turbo. The engine has a seized cam and a broken timing belt so it doesn't actually run anymore.

Just kidding :lol:

Here is a peek under the hood...

and in the trunk...

and where the gas tank used to reside.

I bought my Passat 11 months ago for $1800. It had a blown motor, the cam had seized due to lack of oil, this also sheared off the cam sprocket.

This was the day I bought the car, and I towed it home with my Rover.

Here you can see the cam sprocket that had sheared off.

I gutted the engine compartment, and removed the exhaust system.

I bought a manual transmission, since the car I bought was an automatic.

I bought a 90 horsepower 3 phase electric motor on ebay for 900 canadian dollars. The motor was brand new in a crate, it is built by Siemens, and was used on the Ford Ranger Electric vehicle.

I upgraded the bearings in the motor, the stock bearings required an oiling system, I change them to sealed units.

I came up with a taper lock fitting to attach to the motors helical output gear.

I designed a motor coupling to attach my clutch disk to.

Clutch side of my coupling

The motor and tranny were put in a CNC. The bolt pattern, locating dowels, and shaft centerlines were measured.

An adapter plate was made out of 3/4" aluminum.

The motor and tranny bolted together perfectly.

The motor and tranny bolted into the car.

I replaced the liquid filled VW mounts with solid rubber mounts.

After some tips from people on this forum, I built a snub mount.

There were no motor controllers available for my motor, so I decided to build my own. These are parts I used for my original prototype. The controller converts 312 volts DC into 3 phase 230 volts AC.

This is a picture of the sine wave my motor controller is producing.

This is a pic of my final motor controller. It produces 90 horsepower 3 phase power.

I have 25 batteries connected in series, and some charge faster than others. The circuit board shown will begin to dump power into a resistor once that battery is charged (14.4 volts)

I have a vacuum pump mounted on dampening feet to make the vacuum booster work.

The car will do 100+ MPH, so far I have only taken it to 98.6 MPH.

I can do a pretty respectable burnout. :thumbup:
http://etischer.com/awdev/video/burnout.wmv

Magenta - Battery Voltage (0-400V)
Red - Motor speed x20 (0-8000 rpm)
Blue - Motor current (per phase 0-400A)
Lt. Blue - Throttle position (torque demand 0-125%)

0-60 is 20 seconds right now (fast for an electric car), and it improves every day.

I drive the car 20 miles each day, and it requires 3.5 hours of charging at 230v @ 10 amps. I also have the ability to charge twice as fast, @ 20 amps, but the battery balancers do a better job when I charge slower.

With a light foot, I should be able to drive 35 miles on a charge. I work for a solar cell company, Solyndra, and they allow me to charge at work. Some of the power is even generated by solar panels on Solyndra's roof.

Here are my major mods:
Traction Motor: 90hp Siemens 3 phase watercooled AC induction motor.
Controller: My custom design, watercooled 420A 320V 3 phase inverter running in Sensorless Vector torque control.
Batteries: 25 Optima Blue top, 55 Ah. /0000 gauge cables.

Thanks for choosing my car for POTM. And thanks to Passatworld, from all the pics in the forums and POTM threads, I'm starting to realize how many parts are missing from my car. Thanks to Sipes and Steve in Chicago for the motor mount advice, probably saved me from poking a hole though my hood.

·
Registered
3,556 Posts
you Sir are a very creative man. That was just amazing. 25 Optima batteries.....Wow you have a few grand just in batteries. lol Very cool. Congrats

·
Registered
178 Posts
All i can say is wow....that is truly amazing. When i saw the first pic my thoughts were "who needs a motor when you can bust windows with a system" lol

·
Moderator/Administrator
24,165 Posts
Congrats, well deserved!

·
Lefties have rights, too!
15,695 Posts
Amazing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Well deserved.:bowdown::bowdown::bowdown:

I guess you have no A/C. Do the fans and blowers still work?

Are all of the other electrical components functioning, e.g. door locks, windows, alarm, instrument cluster?

Do you have any "chargers" built into the car to regain energy when you are going down hill?

Really awesome!!!!!!

·
Registered
155 Posts
I have a 1hp 3 phase motor and controller to direct drive the stock AC compressor. I think there are all-in-one electric compressors available too, but I don't think I will do AC now, it adds alot of complexity. Everything in the car works, execpt the speedo, tach, and odometer. I use my GPS for speedo, and my keypad can display RPM. I also still need to find the wires for the reverse lights, not sure if the Automatic and manual tranny have the same connection. I may just wire in a relay to make them work.

I have a 13.4V (14.3V selectable) 55A power supply powered from the 300V battery, this replaces the alternator. The blowers work, and since the heated seats still work, I will probably not bother with an electric heater. The alarm still works too, even with the EFI computer removed.

The motor controller I built does regenerative braking. I have an 8% grade to climb on my way to work, so I regen brake for about 2 miles all the way down the other side. I can regen up to 300A and up to 375V, this is of course only possible if the batteries are at a low state of charge

Amazing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Well deserved.:bowdown::bowdown::bowdown:

I guess you have no A/C. Do the fans and blowers still work?

Are all of the other electrical components functioning, e.g. door locks, windows, alarm, instrument cluster?

Do you have any "chargers" built into the car to regain energy when you are going down hill?

Really awesome!!!!!!

·
Registered
93 Posts
:bowdown::driving: now thats what im talking about you should go ahead and drop it and throw some nice rims with a big lip on it! jk very nice passat!!!

·
Registered
155 Posts
I'm actually trying to raise the rear about 2 inches. I plan to drop the front about 1 inch because it sits higher than stock. I was trying to buy the "armored car" rear suspension, but in the USA it is not available. I might just have to machine some spring spacers.

:bowdown::driving: now thats what im talking about you should go ahead and drop it and throw some nice rims with a big lip on it! jk very nice passat!!!

1 - 20 of 197 Posts