Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
RETIRED Super Stealth Moderator
27,900 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This month, we roll down to a lil ol' town in Texas. Not only does the selection for POTM for the month of April have a pretty nice car that I've seen with my own eyes, but he's also one of the most helpful people on this website. No matter what your problem is, he's likely to have seen it or can offer some excellent troubleshooting guidance.

No other introductions are needed for Paul, ladies and germs! Take it away, Paul!
I was once called eloquent by Kathrine the Great (AtomicAlex), this will prove otherwise :p

Thanks for the honor of POTM. I know this was not because of my car as there are many nicer Passats out there. I am best known for my mechanical skills, assistance in the CB5/Garage forum and for the DFW Garage Days.

Instead of starting with how I got into Passats, I’ll start out with my backround. As a teen, I hated the idea of working in an office. I was interested in cars, so I thought being a mechanic would be a good career for me. I took classes in high school, worked at a gas station, drove a tow truck for AAA and went to tech school for 2 years (all at the same time).

After graduating, I went to go work at STS, a Firestone dealer in NJ. Although I enjoyed the work, being a mechanic quickly took a toll on me. I had knee, hip and back problems that led to me being laid off. I “retired” as a mechanic at the ripe old age of 20, it was 1984. I heard of an opening at Fedex. The pay was higher, benefits were better and I would even get paid vacations. I have been there ever since.

Fast forward 16 years..

In 2000, I was researching for a replacement “new” used car. I wanted something sporty, good on gas and roomy enough for 4 adults. We had always liked VW and had looked at the new 1986 Quantum before deciding on a Golf. Then we checked out the new 1993 Passat before deciding on the Taurus. I also had an 84 Audi 5000S Turbo at one point. I managed to find VWVortex bookmarked on a computer at work. It did not take long to find ClubB5.

I read every post for a year before I was ready to buy a car. I found a 2000 1.8T that was in perfect shape. Only 1 year old, less than 10K on it. Great color and tan cloth interior. I drove it home that night.

After a year, I decided it was time to upgrade the suspension (and signup on CB5). After a dozen or so combinations, I settled on Eibachs, Konis and F+R sways. Then I added a chip and I was pretty happy. Once I did my suspension, people were asking where I had it done. I starting working on Passats as a side job.

My happiness lasted a few years until I made the mistake of following a Miata into a corner at speed. No major injuries, but the Passat did not survive.
It was 2005.

I was soon looking for a replacement. This time I wanted a 4MO and a wagon. I found what I wanted and wasted no time modding.

I started with 1BE springs, rear sway, Konis and some 16” MM A1 wheels.

I had the Konis machined to allow a custom drop.

Eventually I wanted stiffer springs and swapped to the H+R Race springs from an Audi A6Q along with Koni coil-over sleeves to adjust the height. Then I managed to find a treasure in the classifieds. A one of a kind, 6 point upper strut bar. It was built by Femi, an early pioneer to B5 modding.

Some tinted windows too keep out the Texas heat, taken at one of my Garage Days:

I have added a few other upgrades to the wagon:
Bonrath badgeless grill
OEM Hella HID’s (another classifieds find)
B5.5 center console.
A8/TT front brake upgrade.

I have several mods yet to be installed. A set of B5.5 tinted tails has been sitting in the garage for a year. I also have a headlight leveling setup, and a Phatbox (sitting for at least 3 years). I expect this Passat to be around a long time and will continue with minor upgrades.

How I roll to a Garage Day:

Future 2.7T/6sp manual swap J

·
Registered
8,492 Posts
:bowdown::bowdown::thumbup::thumbup:
Congratulations PZ!!! Well deserved, you have always been a great help of advice from your posts and to answering everybody's questions.About time;)!

yum 2.7T/6speed!!!Can't wait!

·
Never mind me, I'm lazy!
350 Posts
Way to go!!! Beautiful car and one of the most knowledgeable/helpful minds on PW. Well deserved for both car and driver. Congratulations.

·
Moderator/Administrator
24,165 Posts
Ah good ole Somerset Tire Service. Congrats! Welcome to the club.

·
RETIRED Super Stealth Moderator
27,900 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Paul being named POTM is FAR past due!
here's something to remember, guys... yes, Paul is one of the most deserving members here for POTM, ever... but, each and every POTM is nominated by our community members. if you guys don't send me nominations, you aren't participating. if I don't get nominees, rarely will I just select someone...

back to our regularly scheduled program: Kudos to Paul!

·
Registered
57 Posts
Congratulations! I work at Fedex too. I load tailers. -___- Not a fan of the job but pays well. haha. Car looks great though :thumbup:

1 - 20 of 68 Posts