Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Passat of the Month for April, 2009: vwb5t! (Matt Jodoin)

20K views 49 replies 42 participants last post by  JayTheSnork 
#1 ·
POTM, for April, 2009! Congratulations, Matt!

It all started the summer of 2006. I had a modded MK3 Jetta and the transmission gave up the ghost, leaving me without a car. I ended up driving my Dad’s 95 Wrangler while looking for another Jetta, but couldn’t find one I liked. The search continued... Then one day, there it was – a 2000 1.8T 5-speed Black Magic Passat; sun roof, monsoon stereo, 100k miles and bone stock. It was dirty as heck too. I bought it that weekend.

So I found Passatworld and one day I get a random PM from JayTheSnork asking me if I was going to Snorkfest in Waterford CT. Little did I know what that would turn into, so I said why not…..it might be fun to meet some Passat guys. Well, that day was the beginning of an era for me, because I met Scirocco78 (Bill) and went for a ride in his autocross beast…that was when I fell in love again. When I got back, I knew I had to have that same suspension, but the problem was it was a one off - the only one made at the time by Shine Racing. Well, Bill told me to come to the auto-x one day and go for a real spin in the car with him on the track. After that, I was in heaven and the auto-x bug bit me. I was going to be back to do this again in my car. Well, Bill decided to get a Miata to race in and I just about bought everything but his Passat from him. It was over - the Passat turned into a full blown autocross car and its daily duties were over, or so I said. I still drive it every chance I get cause it’s just too much fun.

Since then, the car has gone through many mods, but the best one I ever did was my Quaife limited slip - by far the best thing you can do to a Passat. It’s been a rough road sometimes, but through it all, my Passat has not objected at all to the beatings it gets all summer long. Next on the plate is an SCCA approved roll cage, carbon fiber project that will blow your mind (shhhh V4Vangelder and swcrow17), a motor project with V4vangelder that will be epic, and a tail light project that I need to get back on. Other than that, its done till the auto-x days are done and I move on to another car…..then the Passat will be bagged. But till then, its been a fun ride.

I wanna first thank Jay and whomever nominated me as POTM for April…..thanks again man! Also wanna thank Jay as a friend for all his help with my crazy phone calls while you drive to NY and for introducing me to Bill; Bill for emptying my wallet and teaching me how to beat STI’s, you still are the freakin man; I also would like to thank Keith, Mike V, Scott, JP, Andrew, Marc for the new found power; my good friend Dan for all his help with my crazy and wacked out ideas….and for the long hours in his garage…..and last, but not least, my girlfriend Amy; without her luv of dubs I couldn’t have done it, thanks dear for all the support - I love you. There are probably others, but I have CRS syndrome, so sorry I missed you.

Mods:

Engine:
Eurodyne/autoxtrem Software
630cc Siemens fuel injectors
S4 MAF
Forge 004 Blow off
APR inconel manifold
GT2871RS
APR high flow cat
Apexi AVC-R electronic boost controller
Milltek exhaust
034 track density motor mounts
034 track density transmission mount
Stern Poly transmission mount
Stern snub mount
Eurospec stage 3 clutch with light weight flywheel
Quaife Limited Slip differential
Racetech FMIC
Mocal side mount oil cooler
Upgraded power steering cooler
Snow performance stage 2 water meth injection
Braille racing battery (summer only)
Aluminum engine cover
PCV/EVAP delete
Oil catch can
MK3 coolant reservoir
Ground wire upgrade

Suspension and brakes:
Shine racing rear sway bar
S4/A6 upper strut bar
Chas bar
Autocross setup - Shine racing service real race suspension (custom valved Bilstein HD shocks and custom springs)
Daily setup - KW V2 coilovers Slammed
Stern adjustable upper control arms for the coilovers
CPP adjustable control arms for the autocross setup
A8 rotors TT calipers PBR brake pads – swap in hawk racing pads for auto-x
Tyrol Sport Brake Caliper metal bushings
And yes I swap suspensions 3-4 times a month in the summer between auto-x and daily driving

Interior:
Corbeau LG1 seats
B&M short shifter
Pioneer AVH-P5700DVD with Ipod
B5.5 gauge faces and chrome rings
B5.5 center console
Custom mounted gauges in place for ash tray with Stewart Warner oil pressure and temperature gauges
A-pillar Stewart Warner boost gauge on A pillar
Skoda dash vents
Skoda shift knob
Mounts for 5 point racing harness passenger and drivers side

Exterior:
Euro tail lights
Euro trunk
Euro plates front and rear
Euro textured rubs
Badgeless grill
Clear fender markers
OEM VW roof rack
Stubby DTM cup mirrors
Shark fin antenna
Hella HID projectors with clear corners
Cup style stubby mirrors
Thor skid Plate
25% tints

Rims:
Daily – 18x8 BBS VZ’s with 215/45/18 up front 235/40/18 out back
Auto-x 17x8 Millie Miglia a1 with 225/45/17 Kumho MX
Winter/snow 16x7 steelies with New beetle hub caps with 225/60/16 blizzaks
Winters never go on anymore that’s why I bought a GMC Yukon
There's a few more sets but I haven’t run them yet.

And lastly, if anyone ever wants to go for a ride or even drive this thing, don’t be afraid to ask - I am more than willing to let you drive it, but the only thing I ask is don’t smoke my clutch - other than that do what you want - cause I do this with it so you cant really hurt it anymore.

See less See more
#43 ·
your telling me, i never stopped and made a list of all the mods until know, even now i am finding mods i did but forgot to write down.

oh well its worth it cause its a blast to drive, nothing like spinning through 1st and 2nd and finally hooking up in third :lol:

i will bring the passat to snorkfest this year :thumbup:

#50 ·
RIP to my friend, my buddy, my passat. you did things i never knew a passat could do your chassis may be done but your heart and soul will live again in another passat, glad i was able to clean you up and shine you up before your demise so you could go out with dignity :thumbup:

RIP 9/26/2009

Long may you run the cones in Matt's imaginary mental auto-X.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.