Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings. I have recently inherited my Dad's Passat.

It's a Colorado Red V6 5 Speed with BBS wheels. It is my first five speed (which I am loving) and will also be my first modded car. I am looking at body kits first off, and would love to know where you guys found eyebrows, and clear lights for the side head lights. Keep in mind, I am a poor college student. Looking forward to being part of the community.

·
Registered
864 Posts
Welcome man! Glad to see you are enjoying the car. The best place to find parts for your car like lighting is in the marketplace. Get them from Troopster, he is the man and awesome prices! Also keep an eye out in the classifieds, there are always good deals in there. GL man and lets see some pics!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Pics will be up soon...

Are the Colorado red Passats the only color with the ugly black trim at the bottom? It doesn't really matter, I will be getting new bumpers anyways....

Also, why are half the people telling me it's necessary to shift after 4 grand, but others such as my dad tell me its bad for the engine to shift after 4000.

I shift right at 4000 to split the difference of opinions. I'm fairly new at manual so any know how is appreciated.

·
Registered
26,965 Posts
Shifting for power usually is at higher rpm than 4K. Shifting for economy would be much lower. Nothing wrong with redline either. You are not going to kill the engine, just burn more fuel.

·
Registered
5,619 Posts
welcome to the club!!! i got a 99 that i inherited and im loving it as well!!! mods are coming soon so i'll keep u posted

Keeps us all posted as you put mods on your car!

Check the classifieds for all the parts your looking for..you will be suprised with what you will find:p

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
dolldagga said:
Pics will be up soon...

Are the Colorado red Passats the only color with the ugly black trim at the bottom? It doesn't really matter, I will be getting new bumpers anyways....
Nope, my 99 Candy White has the black around the bottom. I have considered painting them but have mixed feelings about it. I have heard some that love it and have had no problems and others that have said cracking and chipping have forced them to go back to black. Decisions...Decisions
Welcome and Good Luck..Being a poor College Student you may want to stay out of the classified section...it could put you in the poor house in a hurry. LOL

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Serious Problems guys. I cranked up my B5 today, and the check engine light is on, and it is running at about half power...sputtering real bad when I drive. My dad fears it could be the turbo charger....HELP!!!!! It has ran beautifully up until this morning...

Has this happened to anyone else?

·
Registered
159 Posts
dolldagga said:
Serious Problems guys. I cranked up my B5 today, and the check engine light is on, and it is running at about half power...sputtering real bad when I drive. My dad fears it could be the turbo charger....HELP!!!!! It has ran beautifully up until this morning...

Has this happened to anyone else?
i hope it's not sludge...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Alright, after more talking to my Dad, this is a longshot, but could it be something as simple as the gas I'm using?

My last car was a T-Bird 3.8 Turbo Charged SC, and I had to burn high grade. My dad said middle grade would be fine for the Passat, but now he is sayin I should have been burning high grade.

Oh, and define sludge.

·
Registered
488 Posts
your original post says you have a v6 which would not have a turbo. If you do have a turbo then you have the 1.8t 4 banger. The 1.8t has the sludge problem, If you have the 1.8t then ask your dad what kind of oil he used. If he did not use synthetic then you could be in for trouble with sludge.

You should start a post in the b5 disscussion or in the garage to get faster answers about the check engine light.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Just got the word guys. I blew a tie rod. (is that how you spell it?)

Should be fixed, and I should be rolling by tomorrow night.

·
Registered
26,965 Posts
That would have nothing to do with how the car runs. A tie rod end is part of the steering.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts