Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Consumer Reports anonymously purchases vehicles for testing and keeps them for several months, driving them for 6,000 to 8,000 miles on the magazine's test tracks and on public roads to gauge various aspects of performance.

Among Consumer Reports picks, two cars -- the Volkswagen Passat and Honda Accord -- tied for the top spot in the category of Best Family Sedan for the second year in a row
http://money.cnn.com/2004/03/08/pf/autos/CR_best_cars/index.htm?cnn=yes

·
Registered
179 Posts
Interesting. I always thought the Accord to be way more reliable than the Passat. I almost bought one. but I'm I glad I didn't. The Passat is simply more exciting.

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
m1mason said:
Interesting. I always thought the Accord to be way more reliable than the Passat. I almost bought one. but I'm I glad I didn't. The Passat is simply more exciting.
So did I. I mean, CR did put "very good" instead of "good", I don't know where the distinction is (how big a gap)

I also agree that the Passat is so much more exciting, and besides it has all those fine touches that the German's think of, instead of just being transportation.

·
Registered
387 Posts
yeah have to keep the positive in mind. especially because the fricking engineer who decided what glue to use on the cloth to rubber trim peices could not find a glue worth a damn.

Oh yeah and my trim fell off yesterday :mad: it was only 78 out. Yeah superglue works great but should not have happened in the first place.

·
Registered
68 Posts
JD Power states the opposite. wasn't it something like only 4 cars were worse than a VW: Daewoo, Suzuki, Kia, and of course Land Rover.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Dudes at work are trying to tell me that Volkswagens have nothing but problems... My car has only broken down once since I got it... It is funny that I didn't see a Nissan or a Mitsubishi up there... Which happens to be the cars that they say are better than mine! But I am happy I have a highly rated car...

·
Registered
372 Posts
CR was specifically touting the V6 Passat GLX (and *not*, e.g., the AWD Wagon, which is below average...as an aside, the Jetta is so far below average that they couldn't fit the bar into their chart).

Elsewhere in the article:

Used cars to avoid:
Volkswagen Golf ’96-03; Jetta ’96-03; New Beetle ’98-03; Passat ’98-00; Passat (4-cyl.) ’02; Passat (V6) ’96-97

Repeat offenders
Be especially careful when considering these models. They have shown several years of much-worse-than-average overall reliability. They are listed alphabetically:
Volkswagen Golf
Volkswagen Jetta
Volkswagen New Beetle

·
Registered
3,270 Posts
darisgin said:
CR was specifically touting the V6 Passat GLX (and *not*, e.g., the AWD Wagon, which is below average...as an aside, the Jetta is so far below average that they couldn't fit the bar into their chart).

Elsewhere in the article:

Used cars to avoid:
Volkswagen Golf ’96-03; Jetta ’96-03; New Beetle ’98-03; Passat ’98-00; Passat (4-cyl.) ’02; Passat (V6) ’96-97

Repeat offenders
Be especially careful when considering these models. They have shown several years of much-worse-than-average overall reliability. They are listed alphabetically:
Volkswagen Golf
Volkswagen Jetta
Volkswagen New Beetle
I looked at the JD Power and Associates rating before I bought my car, 2000 1.8T was rated pretty reliable. It was very close to it's Japanese counterparts.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Funny, I have an 02 1.8T, and I haven't had issues, except for the recalls. I haven't heard of people on this site having problems with '02's. Hmmmmm...
Me neither (although I am touching wood big-time as I type) :shock: . Except for a coilpack failure while fully loaded en route to ski country a year ago on a Sunday (of course! :mad: ) and a few annoying trips to the dealer to turn of that ill-behaved :evil: CEL (warning light). My only potential complaint after 80K kms is some premature wear on the stick-shift-boot leatherette.

·
Registered
525 Posts
eberleb said:
Funny, I have an 02 1.8T, and I haven't had issues, except for the recalls. I haven't heard of people on this site having problems with '02's. Hmmmmm...
I imagine hundreds, if not thousands of owners had coil pack failures before the recall. That was probably enough to throw the ratings in the tank.

·
6th Grade
14,918 Posts
I love it.

When they say VWs are good, you guys say how great Passats are.

When they say VWs are bad, you guys say all CR knows how to rate are toasters.

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
Sharky said:
I love it.

When they say VWs are good, you guys say how great Passats are.

When they say VWs are bad, you guys say all CR knows how to rate are toasters.
No conflict there. Either way, folks keep saying Passats are great, eh? :poke: :wink:

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
sfrich19 said:
JD Power states the opposite. wasn't it something like only 4 cars were worse than a VW: Daewoo, Suzuki, Kia, and of course Land Rover.
I thought JD Power's statements had to do with VW in general, not with the Passat specifically.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Arj said:
sfrich19 said:
I thought JD Power's statements had to do with VW in general, not with the Passat specifically.
yeah, but it says a lot about the VW product. I really don't know why they can't get stuff right... I mean, the Passat feels so solid, looks so good, and has that mythical superior "German engeneering"... but what a worse than average experience I and my friends had owning out VWs. I was jealous that my dad's HYUNDAI never ever ever had a single problem, and that I was going to the VW dealer once a month. uggggh. my heart would race and I would cringe every time I pulled into a VW dealer... really bad experiences.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
About this Discussion
16 Replies
14 Participants
sfrich19
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing