Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Passat is gone... Update 01/19/09

I havn't really posted here much other than the questions I had about the 2002 Passat GLX 4motion I bought a month ago that had a couple of problems. Some of you might remember my air bag and incorrect mileage on the odometer problem. Well we got that taken car of and all squared away.

The day we went to pick it up it started leaking gas from the drivers side near the front of the tank. It took them a week to get some parts to replace and about 3 days to put them on. We got it back, the entire car smelled like gas inside and out, and 3 days later it was leaking gas again, but this time it was much worse, dumping about 1/4 tank of gas on my driveway. We took it back once again. This time they decided to replace the entire tank and all fuel componets between the tank and the fuel rail. It was going to take 4 weeks to gather all the parts (tank was on backorder 3 weeks) and another few days to complete the work. This is all taking place at a Toyota dealership where I bought it used. They refused to take it to the VW dealership to fix it.

After a week of back and forth phone tag I finally asked for my downpayment back. A little more fighting and a call from my lawyer and I got it back and they took the passat back. I was a little disappointed at first cause I liked the passat.

Well after a weekend of shopping we narrowed it down to 2 cars we liked. We drove a 2002 Passat W8 and really like it. It was identical to our other passat except black on black leather interior and of course V8. We decided to pass on it when the red display between the guages wasn't even viewable and the dealership refused to replace it. So we are now the proud owners of a 2003 Audi A4 1.8T Quattro with 63k miles on it. Im going to miss the passat, but I think I will more than happy with the Audi. It gets good gas mileage and has the power to have a good time with it. Also the option to mod it if I need to go faster!

This is a great forum and I have learned a lot in the last 4 weeks searching and reading up on the Passat. Its great to be able to pass along some of this knowledge to the Audi also. Keep up the good work guys!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
well the story doesn't end there...

A coworker and I went to lunch together in the A4. Well needless to say it blew up on the way back. The oil light came on and flashed just as we pulled up in front of my work. Within the 30 seconds it took for me to park it it was running rough and ticking. Now it won't start. It turns over, but will not start. I'm begining to lose faith in VW and Audi. I checked the oil and its fine. I think it may have a sludge problem. There is some junk I can see from the oil fill hole. damn it!

·
Registered
5,404 Posts
Ok, most f teh time I think new cars are a rip-off (Though I love them cause they smell nice and if teh cops seach my trunk they won't find teh previous owners block of coke)
However for you, get rid of this car and buy a ne, enver been touched car. :p
Or try CPO, they're less likely to dick around and it will be serviced by the dealer of the make you bought.

·
Registered
3,305 Posts
If you buy used, try getting an extended warranty when you do it.
I bought a 2003 W8 w/ 33,000 on the odometer, and purchased the B2B warranty that runs for 60 months/ 60,000 miles.
I'm covered until either 9/2011 or 93,000 miles.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Wow. That f***ing sucks...

Please tell me you bought some kind of warranty on the A4 or something? I mean there is a sludge warranty that VW/Audi issued, and I would hope the dealership will honor, but that's a mess.

How long have you had it? Did you call the dealer about it yet?

·
Registered
356 Posts
Maybe you have a failed fuel pump? Looks like you got lemons. Remember with german cars, the service records are your friends. The neglected ones are always sold used and will eventually lead to problems. The Audi A4 2003 is still based on the same platform as the Passat (B5.5) so feel free to stay here. Modified-A4 (member here) has an A4 and we still like him =).

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I didnt even have it 24 hours yet. We picked it up at about 8pm last night and it blew up at 1pm today. We were supposed to go back tonight to finish the paper work. I called them and told them what was going on with it. I ended up getting out of the deal on it, but they werent happy about it having a blown engine. It was completely seized. It wouldnt even turn over. They are trying to sell me an Accord now. I told them I would sleep on it and come back this weekend. I never gave them my downpayment since the paper work wasnt done. So in the end its all good. I still dont have a car, but I dont have a car with a blown motor. lol

·
Registered
5,514 Posts
tell them if they fix the W8 you will take it. Its a dam sick car. Drop it..get some rims and thats all you need to be happY!

sorry to hear about all this BS going on. Not all VW's are like this :/ It sucks your getting such a shitty impression cuz of these bad experiences :(

·
Registered
50 Posts
Well on the A4, if it's an 03, yo havce 4 yrs of complete warr. so that would be fixed by Audi, depending on when the A4 was titled. You should find out if they will fix the car through an Audi dealer, and then you get rebuilt engine....

just some thoughts, remember the warr. travel with the car, not the person and it's good for 4 yrs, or 48k on that car.

-b

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Well on the A4, if it's an 03, yo havce 4 yrs of complete warr. so that would be fixed by Audi, depending on when the A4 was titled. You should find out if they will fix the car through an Audi dealer, and then you get rebuilt engine....

just some thoughts, remember the warr. travel with the car, not the person and it's good for 4 yrs, or 48k on that car.

-b
The original post says he's way past the 48k -- and I think he said he took it back and isn't going to keep it since he never paid anything for it.

·
Registered
125 Posts
dont feel so bad. same sh!t happened to me when i biught my GLS. first week towed back to the subaru dealership where i bought it 3 times!!! i think the car had never been driven the way i drive (spirited, to say the least) and couldnt handle it. however the dealership replaced many parts that first week for free, including water pump, thermostat, radiator, intercooler, etc. so all's well that ends well!

·
Registered
2001 Passat wagon; 2016 Golf Sportwagen
5,507 Posts
I have bought four new cars, including the Passat, and I try to keep them 15 to 20 years, to recoup my investment and steep initial depreciation. I have also bought three used cars, always from private parties: one trusted friend, one next-door neighbor, and one stranger whom we interviewed for about 3 hours while I checked out the car. In each case, I was able to verify the service record and to evaluate the owner's personality, and in each case I ended up with a car which had been properly maintained. Given what I now know about VWs and Audis, I would never buy a used one without satisfactory service records, which rules out most dealership transactions.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Consider a blender (some might say "blander") vehicle -- a la Accord -- one less likely to have had the livin' daylights beat out of it (as might have been done by certain, oh, Audi/VW owners).

If you *must* buy German, consider a private party sale where you can get a sense of whether the owner is a fanatic ("Here, let me show you my meticulous records using ONLY Motul 5W-40; oh, and here's where you can buy that nifty OEM VW super-stinky washer fluid, only $17.99 for a 5-gallon jug!").

Unless you can secure a long term bumper-to-bumper, AVOID the W8: GREAT car but given that VW built it largely from German unobtanium--and further given that its niche status insures technical ignorance--you are going to have to dish out big dollars to keep it any length of time...

·
Registered
5,404 Posts
The thing with an accord or camry is that they take a lot of abuse.
This is a doubl;e edged sword. They are less likely to have issues intially when you buy used, but they also don't show siogns of neglect as soon.
Buy something CPO'ed with 100% of records regardless of what you buy unless owned its an obvious "car person" with full records.
All turbos need evidence of sythetic (i'dn image w's would too).
If you wanna keep in the audi/passat famkily consider a v6. They're much less troublesome than either the 1.8T and W8 used simply because the maintence is easier for a layperson to complete.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Both cars came from different dealerships. Passat from a toyota dealer and the A4 from an Acura dealer. We had an accord before my wire was rear ended and it was a great car. If we buy anything after this point its going have a warrenty or atleast include one. The dealership bought us a 3 year warrenty on the V6 GLX, but they refused to fix it after the gas tank started leaking. So we are at square one shopping again.

My wife found a Volvo V70 XC Cross County wagon she likes and has all the service records included with it. Im not a big fan of the wagon, but she likes it and its extremly comfortable. Oh well I guess we will get it figured out eventually.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Wow, really sorry to hear about your troubles. You must have some bad luck to get two bad ones in a row ---

Want to have a Passat/A4 and sleep well at night? I recommend CarMax. I bought my Passat at the CarMax in Oklahoma City a few weeks ago and they were amazing. You will pay a bit extra, but your car has a full bumper to bumper warranty for 30 days, and you can buy 3-7 years worth of extended warranty.

There's a CarMax in Albuquerque and you can search their inventory from carmax.com. I'm not affiliated with them, but after buying from them and having my car inspected at two places (both gave excellent reports), I'm very happy.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts