Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,728 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just want everyone's thought on this matchup.
Everytime I see the new Saab I just can't help but look. As far as looks, it's got it already and no need for body kits.
Now, what about the engine and the interior.
I know that Saab is pricier but it's not much more. Passat can get up there after all the options to match

Waddya thunk?

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
I drove one a couple of weeks ago and its pretty nice. The Aeros come with the slick 6 speed tranny. I remember the center console being a bit quirky; the buttons are small and there are led displays all over the place. Inside, the car feels a bit smaller than the Passat, I'm not sure of the actual size, but the car drives like its a much smaller car. The suspension on the Aero is definately sportier than our Passats straight out of the box. The ride is far from rough, but there is less squat, dive, and roll. Even with the 6 speed gearbox, you have to get the engine pretty wound up to get decent power out of it...but if you're the kind of person that likes to drive your car hard, it can be a lot of fun. Overall, it gets a thumps up from me if you can get over its little quirks. Kudos to saab for putting in a stock FMIC too.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Well, you should definitely check out www.saabcentral.com. I'm over there as well and have been learning alot about the vehicle.

With current sale prices, you can get a loaded (every option)Saab 9-3SS Linear 5-Speed (175HP) for about $26,000 (give or take a few hundred dollars). A fully loaded GLS will run you just under $24,000. However, the Passat is missing a power driver's seat, 17" wheels, sport suspension, and auto climate control. If you subtracted the sport suspension package from the 9-3SS, you'd save about $1300, though!. In short, if you equipped the two vehicles equivalently, they'd end up around the same price.

Now, the interior of the Passat is arguably better built than the current 9-3SS. The materials in the VW seem to have a better quality and seem to have been put together better. The style of the 9-3SS's interior is nice, IMO, but it just doesn't seem as refined. The exterior of the 9-3SS is another story, I absolutely love it! :thumbup:

Of course, these are just my experiences and opinions. Your best bet is to compare the two cars yourself in person, back to back. You also have to take into account that the 9-3SS comes with free scheduled maintenance... :wink: I think the 9-3SS is a great car, it just needs more refinement. :)

·
Registered
9,741 Posts
*patiently waits for TDIBUGMAN's response*

:poke:

I'm totally infatuated w/ the 9-3 redesign as well. Well, except for the convertible (what's up w/ those tails???). Decent power, smooth body lines, but the cockpit of a Saab has never been good in the ergonomics department IMHO. Well, maybe except the 9-2X which they didn't design. :lol: They should take some lessons from the Honda/Acura on this subject...

·
Registered
2,728 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Don't have time now to go browse yet another forum but what do they have in terms of performance mods. Do they have chips available too for the the turbo?

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
well ,well, well, here we go again.
Before we go any further, lets say I like the engine of the Linear better than that of an Aero or Arc - and the 5 speed shifts much nicer, too. The Arc/Aero have NO performance advantage (thats worth the premium) over a Linear. IMO, the 175hp of the Linear is underquoted to increase sales of the other two. Saabs have never been the most luxurious feeling cars on the road. What they have been are durable. Over the years, their choice of "regular" switchgear, rather than "softtouch" outlasts others. Mine had a few issues on introduction cars, but its all been smoothed out now.
Lots of buttons on the dash? Yes. As many as any other car with ACC and all of the toys. Looked in a 3 series? Even more buttons than I have.
My Linear is over a year old and 17K miles later. Only driven on weekends, I like it even more now. as a complete package, it is just a phenomenal car.
There have been several changes for 04 as far as option packages are concerned. My aunt in the Flippin SUV thread is buying one next weekend, so I guess I have to brush up quick.
There are SOME performance mods out, they are just kind of pricey. A chipped Passat, IIRC, brings you to about a 7 sec 0-60, same as the Saab. But the Saab does it with zero lag. And with a warranty (assuming the dealer knows of the chip) and full maintenance. And with *the best* crash test results of any other are sold here or in Europe.
Some pics:

·
Registered
941 Posts
TDIBUGMAN said:
it is just a phenomenal car.

Some pics:

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
And it handles like its on rails.... I mean Bridgestones... :wink:

·
Registered
5,449 Posts
my girlfriend just bought a leftover 03 linear that's highly optioned up. she's very pleased with it and i must say the dash is quite good. i love the nightpanel. i haven't driven it so i can't comment on the driving feel but riding in the car is satisfying.

if you are going to buy new...make sure to research the european delivery. you save over 2000 off MSRP, get to drive in europe and i think saab gives you 2000 is travel assistance money. why wouldn't anybody go with that (assuming they had the time to do it)?

·
Registered
6,241 Posts
Elias said:
TDIBUGMAN said:
it is just a phenomenal car.

Some pics:

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
And it handles like its on rails.... I mean Bridgestones... :wink:
I second the rail comment. :lol:

·
Banned
3,172 Posts
The Arc/Aero may not have much performance gain for the money (210hp vs. 175 stock for a Linear). Also, you can chip the Linear to 210hp pretty easily, while Arc and Aero can only be chipped to 230hp. (+35hp vs. +20hp)

However, beyond that the Linear is not as "tunable" as the other two due to a different (and weaker) internal setup.
The standard turbo upgrade--the Mitsubishi TD4 H-18T Turbo--that is being used for applications of +250hp puts the Linear's motor's internals on shaky ground when compared to the Arc or Aero's motor.

I looked into buying one. Did a little research first. :wink:

-Harry

·
Registered
941 Posts
VWGUY4EVER said:
Ehh... It was alright.... :poke: :wink:
It will probably spank both our cars in the twisties... :wink:
Not to mention the brake catagory... at least my car... but then again my car has no brakes... :cry: :cry: :cry:

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
SDPassatT said:
The Arc/Aero may not have much performance gain for the money (210hp vs. 175 stock for a Linear). Also, you can chip the Linear to 210hp pretty easily, while Arc and Aero can only be chipped to 230hp. (+35hp vs. +20hp)

However, beyond that the Linear is not as "tunable" as the other two due to a different (and weaker) internal setup.
The standard turbo upgrade--the Mitsubishi TD4 H-18T Turbo--that is being used for applications of +250hp puts the Linear's motor's internals on shaky ground when compared to the Arc or Aero's motor.

I looked into buying one. Did a little research first. :wink:

-Harry

I was under the impression that the block was basically the same in all three models. The only difference, I thought, was that the Arc and Vector/Aero had a larger turbo to better handle the increased boost. I guess there is a difference between the two blocks?

I do know that the Arc and Vector/Aero models do have more turbo lag, or at least they did when I drove them back-to-back with the Linear. :wink:

·
Banned
3,172 Posts
Elias said:
VWGUY4EVER said:
Not to mention the brake catagory... at least my car... but then again my car has no brakes... :cry: :cry: :cry:
Your car has brakes, Elias! You just have to take your foot off the gas pedal for them to work well! :lol: :p :wink:

·
Registered
6,241 Posts
SDPassatT said:
Elias said:
VWGUY4EVER said:
Your car has brakes, Elias! You just have to take your foot off the gas pedal for them to work well! :lol: :p :wink:
Priceless! :thumbup: :thumbup:

·
Registered
941 Posts
Flippped said:
SDPassatT said:
Elias said:
VWGUY4EVER said:
Priceless! :thumbup: :thumbup:
Every time I take my foot off the right pedal the speedometer needle goes down :sad: doesn’t the owners manual say keep a steady speed during the break in period.
Now Im confused… :crazy: :crazy: :crazy:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts