Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everybody I'm new to this forum and I would like some advice. I am currently looking to buy a Passat Estate 2.5 V6 TDI and I have noticed that some 2002 cars the sellers claim that the BHP figures as standard are anything between 163 - 170 BHP I was always led to believe that the 2.5 V6 was a 150 BHP engine can anybody help me on this as I am looking to buy a 2002 model if the BHP figures are different how can I tell the difference between a 150 and 163 BHP. Any information on this would be greatly appreciated. Is there anything else I need to look for when buying this model I'm just afraid somebody will sell me a 150 BHP claiming it to be a 163 BHP. :)

·
Registered
262 Posts
If it's from a dealer, get the exact chassis number and they should be able to check.

Whatever the spec, it'll be even better when you get it chipped :)

Hopefully someone else will chip in, but if not, you might want to try one of the tdi websites.

·
Registered
503 Posts
You can just get the reg number to find out the hp at the dealer.

I always thought they were 150 too, maybe the newer ones were higher, but it wont be 163, it will be 160 or 170 quoted.

·
Registered
1 Posts
IIRC - if you’re in the UK it works out like this.
If the car is registered BEFORE May 03 then it will be the 150bhp version with a red ‘I’ in the V6 TDI badge.
If the car is registered AFTER May 03 then it will be the 163bhp version with the red ‘DI’ on the V6 TDI badge. Some owners chose to have all silver ‘V6 TDI’ so you can’t tell from the badge which version it is. The reg plate should give it away though indicating what year the car is.
Many 150bhp cars are falsely advertised as 163bhp cars when advertised. This is not a fault of the seller. When the REG is entered into eBay or auto trader the website auto completes the description of the car and usually in this case the wrong power rating. Both engines are mechanically the same bar a mapping. Both cars can be remapped with an extra 30bhp & both cars pushing about 290+ ftlbs of torque when remapped. The 150bhp version is lighter in weight that the newer 163 car. When both cars are remapped the older 150 actually has a better power to weight ratio than the 163. In the Audi Quattro 2.5 TDI the same V6 block churns out 180bhp stock by using bigger turbo, injectors, fuel pump, oil cooler etc, however mpg is reduced from about 40mpg to the low 30’s.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts