Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys I am lost. About a month I rebuilt the cylinder head on my 1999 Passat 1.8t. I broke a serpine tine belt and timing belt. I replaced all the valves and seals . Lapped the valves. I drove the car for about 2 months. Now it cranks but will not start, Ido have have spark at all 4 coil packs, I do have fuel preasure. I belive 50psi when cranking. I have no codes present. I just had the battery tested. It tested good. I also changed the spark plugs. It has a new maf. I am at huge loss. I bought the vag cable and software. I have no codes present. I have stumped a vw mechanic. He is at a loss. If anyone could help that would be great. I did notice it cranks at 100 rpm. I thought maybe the ESS but it doesn't throw a code for it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I replaced the ESS today because the old one had 425 ohms at pin 1 and 2. The starter is cranking ok and I have compression. Its over 100. I feel it should be higher closer to 150. I would think that's enough to fire over.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I had a low voltage terminal 30. cleaned the battery terminals. Cleaned where the connection is to the relays. The best I can tell is that's terminal 30?

·
Registered
9,720 Posts
How did you check the cranking speed? 100 RPM would be too slow.
Which scanner did you get ? Where did you get it ?
What is the compression in each cylinder now ?

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
after cranking,are the plugs wet?, as you said you have spark, if the plugs are not wet ,suspect a connection at the ECM in regards to injectors, also I do not believe your throttle is "by wire", uses a cable? ,it would not throw a code as to injectors I do not believe as there is no feedback to ECM from them, Tomvw would know if there is a feedback loop....

·
Registered
9,720 Posts
You would get more response if you answerred questions!

If the info that you have provided is correct, it would appear that you have a flooded engine.
Try the uaual procedure for starting a flooded engine.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I aired out the motor over night with the plugs out. Went to store and got a new set of plugs. The ones I pulled out looked ok but I thought better safe than sorry. I sputters like it wants to start but it just wont catch and start. I even put 1 oz. of oil in each cylinder. On the off chance I was having a ring issue.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Your compression sucks - I think it is at the bottom limit. If the problem appeared suddenly, this could be a sign that cam timing has slipped a bit. I would check to make sure - timing belt and cam chain.

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
OP;

Try spraying some starting fluid into the TB and see if the motor will fire up and idle.
Another question is when was the last time you changed the fuel filter ?
Might not be related but it does't cost much and easy to change.

Chuck

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Your compression sucks - I think it is at the bottom limit. If the problem appeared suddenly, this could be a sign that cam timing has slipped a bit. I would check to make sure - timing belt and cam chain.
I pulled the valve cover off to double check cam timing. Everything looks as it should.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
OP;

Try spraying some starting fluid into the TB and see if the motor will fire up and idle.
Another question is when was the last time you changed the fuel filter ?
Might not be related but it does't cost much and easy to change.

Chuck
ed the filter in the last year
I did try that . It made no difference at all. I have not changed the filter in the last year or so.

·
Registered
9,720 Posts
The fuel filter is NOT the problem!

It could be a timing issue as suggested by Hirnbeiss, do NOT crank again until you have checked the belt and chain timing.

I still think it is flooded, this would cause low compression.
Did the compression improve after adding oil to the cylinders ?

1) Remove the spark plugs and fuel pump fuse (#28).
2) With full throttle crank for several seconds after there is no sign of fuel blowing out the plug holes.
3) Put about 1/3 oz (10 ml) of oil in each cylinder and crank for several seconds at full throttle.
4) Re-fit the plugs (not the fuse) and try to start until it doesn't fire at all.
5) Disconnect battery negative for 10 minutes.
6) Re-fit fuse #28, switch ignition on and off 3 times.
7) Now try to start in the normal way.

NOTE: Do NOT do add more oil unless you have already washed the last dose away.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The compression did not change. Tries exactly what said you said. Still tries to start. Sort just sputters. It just doesn't catch.

·
Registered
9,720 Posts
If the problem was flooding, and you followed all of the instructions in my list precisely and in the order listed,
the engine should have started.

Your compression readings are quite low, either you have a serious problem there or you are not checking correctly.
Battery should be fully charged, tester fitting should be fully seated and sealed, throttle should be held wide open,
and the engine should be cranked for several revolutions for each cylinder.

If the compression did not improve after adding an oz of oil to each cylinder, the problem is not leaking past the rings.
Mis-timing would cause the symptoms that you are reporting.
With the crank timing marks exactly aligned, where are the cam pulley timing marks,
and where are the cam shaft timing notches in respect to the pointers on the cam caps ?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts