Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I been puzzled by this for a week. I have looked all around and have not found the answer. Car guruand all that is a rip off. Pay $10 for someone to tell you to take it to a mechanic! No thanks, kinda defeats the purpose in their website! So My car just clicks with no turn over. Not the battery, and not the starter. Not the ignition switch, non of the relays. So I have and extra battery. I take it out to the car, and try to jump it. Even though I know the battery is good. I have tested all the wires also at this point. As I hook up the jumper cables I accidentally drop the hot on the engine. I tried grabbing it up real quick because I figured it would spark. But guess what, NO SPARK! I take the hot and touch it all over the engine, NO SPARK! Then it hits me! So I take the negative clamp and clamp and clamp it to the ground on the battery, then straight to the engine block hook. Get in the car and it starts right up. Bad ground! I spent alot of money and hours. I hope this helps others. $8 fix for a ground wire from battery to block.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hey glad you were able to figure it out! I spent a week tracing back wires and jumping relays trying to get my car to start one day a couple years ago. I feel your pain.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I just replaced my starter and it started up right away. I ran it for 20-30 minutes and shut it down. I waited a minute or so and tried to start it again. All I got were rapid clicks. Maybe you helped me with your experience. Tomorrow I’ll try to go negative terminal to engine block with a jumper cable. Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Well the negative post to engine block didn’t change anything. However the battery seems to die quickly. When I charge it, it gets to 100% fairly quick but does just as fast. It’s the original so I guess I’ll try a jump from another vehicle.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Welcome!
Congrats on getting it fixed!
Often such simple things are getting overlooked...
I had a similar issue on a '71 buick on the positive cable to the starter - since then the terminals and wire connections of the + and - cables are one of the first things i check when trouble arises ;-)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts