Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have Passat CC R-line 2012 and having a problem of hard steering and couple of lights on dashboard.

Description is as below.

Everything was fine couple of weeks back. However, I changed lower arm bushes and all 4 tyres and thought to go for alignment which makes everything worst.

1. Steering wheel is now hard and need a force to rotate.
2. Steering functions stopped working such as steering buttons. Airbag and steering light popped up (Both in yellow color)

Today I changed a clock spring - Now steering functions are working fine. However, two new lights popped up (Tyre Pressure and ESP both in yellow color)

Current Problems:
Problem 1: Steering Wheel is still hard. However, while driving it is little better but not as before. Before it was too smooth.
Problem 2: 4 lights on dashboard and all are in yellow color (airbag, steering, tyre pressure, ESP)

You help to understand problems will be highly appreciated.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Number one, it is difficult to guess what the specific problems are, and what remedies might be in order to fix said issues without a VCDS scan, which of course would provide some informed direction. Reading through your experiences and not a believer in coincidence sounds like something detrimental happened at the alignment shop since as I understand it the trouble appeared after said alignment. Did the technician pull the steering wheel to center it, if so that's where the problem is, the clock spring not installed correctly can cause all (or many) of the troubles you are seeing. Of course this is simply guess work from reading your original description.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yes, they have pulled the steering wheel to centre. However, I have changed the clock spring and the hard steering issue still persist.

Today, I felt that while driving the steering wheel is little soft. Once the vehicle is stationary or slow, the steering wheel required a lot of power to rotate.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Problem 2(after clock spring replacement): 4 lights on dashboard and all are in yellow color (airbag, steering, tyre pressure, ESP)

All can be related to steering wheel to steering column relationship, regardless of clock-spring replacement, all this occurred after steering wheel reorientation. Could be a wiring harness issue after steering wheel removal/reposition too (biggest hint would be the airbag light). A VCDS scan will help to eliminate guess work with the issues you continue to have.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Let me find VCDS scan. I am from Dubai and here everything is very costly. I am not sure where to start.
I went to another garage and they said due to bad alignment steering motor is now not making pressure. We might need to change steering rack.

Just now I called to one professional garage and they said better visit VW and diagnose the issues first.

My question to you is it a possibility due to non collaborated slip ring the steering is hard?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Don't know about the CC but as far as I know my Passat has electric assisted steering, no "pressure motor" !!! Can't see the CC being any different.
Thanks dear for a reply.

Yes, both cars are same. What is your thought on hard steering? Is it due to non-collaborated new Slip ring?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts