Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Rollin in the LAV
1,760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I never thought it would happen to me, but it did. I was driving home from my girlfriend's house last night around 11:45PM and shortly thereafter plowed into a downed tree. The road I was on (175th) was covered with small branches and pine needles, so I was going 30-35 in a 45. The power was out in the area and it was raining, so visibility was very poor. I rounded a corner and the road began a ~10% downgrade. Some a-hole in the other lane had his high beams on, so I flashed my highs because I couldn't see shit. The guy kept them on, passed me, and when my eyes readjusted I saw a 14-16 inch diameter tree in my lane. I slammed on the brakes, skidded on the pine needles, and hit the tree at 15 mph. Luckily, the tree pivoted out of the way, so the impact wasn't as bad as it could have been. It looked like the tree was sawn in half; the other lane was clear, but my lane was not. Only my ego was injured. Hopefully, the Kamei grill can be salvaged. :cry: Here are the pictures...

Morning after pics...

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
you should've kept us in the dark! the morning after pics is where you can really see the damage. luckily you weren't going faster than 15mph. that would be a disaster. luckily you're ok. where are you from? looks like Connecticut, or from the arial views of the trees.

·
Registered
5,404 Posts
The good news is that won't bee cheap to fix, but won't be all that bad assuming no frame damage.
Also, after that respray get your front end clear bared, muight as well keep a prisine paint job :)
/If your lights are damaged, I can give you a good deal on some B5.5 projectors :p Ins company pays you what it woudl cost to fix at list. . . . (And no thats not an insurance scam). i just upgarded to W8s and got these things stilling on my dining room table :p
//Shameless

·
Rollin in the LAV
1,760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The good news is that won't bee cheap to fix, but won't be all that bad assuming no frame damage.
Also, after that respray get your front end clear bared, muight as well keep a prisine paint job :)
/If your lights are damaged, I can give you a good deal on some B5.5 projectors :p Ins company pays you what it woudl cost to fix at list. . . . (And no thats not an insurance scam). i just upgarded to W8s and got these things stilling on my dining room table :p
//Shameless
I don't think there is any frame damage, but you never know. I currently have a 3M clear bra on the bumper, so the paint didn't even get scratched. :lol: I'll have them shave the license plate and respray the hood. I can't tell if the passenger fender is bent or just out of alignment. The passenger headlight works, but it's scratched up and wobbles around. The driver side headlight is not working. Somehow, both fog lights work. :crazy: I tried to open the hood, but it's stuck, so I can't see what else is broken. I was going to take my car in for an oil change next week, too. We'll be in touch about the headlights. ;)

·
Rollin in the LAV
1,760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Just curious....

A friend recommended that I try to get reimbursed through the county in which the the accident happened. Any possibility of this, or should I just go through insurance?

Also, do I even need to file a police report? Some of my friends have said 'yes' some said 'no.' No one else was invlolved in the accident, and there were no injuries.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Try that for sure. No reason not to see if they will cover damages for not maintaining a quick and easy level of maintenance on their roads.

·
Grinding Gears...gone fishing!
22,610 Posts
not too bad considering the title, i was expecting alot worse.
fix her up!

1 - 20 of 40 Posts