Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

Passat B5 X Mercury Cougar

2213 Views 30 Replies 18 Participants Last post by  Arj
A friend of mine wants to race my Passat desperately. he says my passat is POS , blah , blah , blah.

He got a 1990 Cougar V6 with no engine mods.

I got a 1998 B5 with the 1.1 GIAC chip , no other engine mods.

Should i take the offer?
1 - 20 of 31 Posts
Wait a sec... 1990 Cougar ?? Unless it's supercharged - XR-7. it's a 3800 pound pig with 145hp.... You'd own him, stick or Tip...
VWGUY4EVER said:
Wait a sec... 1990 Cougar ?? Unless it's supercharged - XR-7. it's a 3800 pound pig with 145hp.... You'd own him, stick or Tip...
I thought it was a new one....I think those have 5.0s Ron. Probably little more then 145hp....Im probably wrong though.

Best Car Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
If it's an XR-7 then it has a 205/215 hp 5.0 but still weighs 3800 pounds.
VWGUY4EVER said:
If it's an XR-7 then it has a 205/215 hp 5.0 but still weighs 3800 pounds.
Those are not slow....but I would think that Passat tip/5 sp will most likely take it...

According to MSN,

the LS had the 3.8L V6 that made 140hp 215lb/tq

the XR-7 had the Supercharged version of that engine, that made 210hp, and holy Torqe monsters! 315lb/ft :eek:

either way its a 3800lbs beast of a car.

http://autos.msn.com/research/compare/default.aspx?&c=0&n=3&i=0&tb=0&ph1=t0&ph2=t0&dt=1&v=t12195

-Nick
See less See more
Why does it matter that much if it's a tip or manual. Isn't the difference around .2 of a sec 0-60. Plus in most cases you will get a more constent launch with a tip.
pat8931 said:
Why does it matter that much if it's a tip or manual. Isn't the difference around .2 of a sec 0-60. Plus in most cases you will get a more constent launch with a tip.
Its a 1 second difference in 1/4 mile.....pretty significant if you ask me.

My car is manual. and hes car is not supercharged
1.8Tabamoura said:
My car is manual. and hes car is not supercharged
You will eat him alive unless you royally screw up shifting.
Don't dog the Cougar too much-at least he has IRS.
dude youll win. the only thing youd have trouble against is hte 5.0 (which you are not racing against). the 5.0's launch REALLY well and pull like mofos. the v6 is way too weak for that car and youll have a nice laugh
Sharky said:
Don't dog the Cougar too much-at least he has IRS.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
He wants to put a $500.00 bet on it.

I think i will take the offer.
what a stupid race, the guy has to know he will get beat. give me a break :roll:
1.8Tabamoura said:
He wants to put a $500.00 bet on it.

I think i will take the offer.
Unless he is keeping somthing from you....man a 4 cylinder Camry could probably beat him.

-Nick
If it's not supercharged, he's meat. If it is and he's rollin a 5 speed, you could be in some trouble. I owned a T-bird Supercoupe back in the day (same thing) and that thing stomped on it fairly well, but the n/a v6's were pooches.
$500 huh... do some more investigative work and make sure he has no other secret "mods" that will give him the leg up on ya.
Scuba2001 said:
$500 huh... do some more investigative work and make sure he has no other secret "mods" that will give him the leg up on ya.
yea something is fishy...

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.