Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

Passat B5 with B5.5 front

86K views 146 replies 43 participants last post by  softuner 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi guys!

Let me start by asking you for some patience and help (if needed) with my technical languge. The truth is that I don't know a lot of it.

I realized that there are some diferences between european and american nomenclature of the models in cause here.

In Europe, my Passat is a 3B (yours B5), and it has the 3BG front (yours B5.5). The B5 first units have left the mother-house in Germany in October of 1996, and they were built untill the final months of 2000.

Mine is one of the first to leave the factory in Germany, and was imported to Portugal with three and a half years old. But I've just bought it a year ago.

It is a 1.9 TDI with 110 hp (I believe you use the same power mesure units there).

I will now leave a few pictures of the car and some of the mods I done so far.

I´ll be saving on the comments so I don't mess too much with the language.:D

So, here it is, feeding the horses.

Next, I´ll be posting the largest intervention I didi since the front application.

EDIT: Now that photobucket pulled a good one on us, at least check the full conversion body work: http://www.passatworld.com/forums/showroom/298943-passat-b5-b5-5-front-5.html#post4463482 ;)

See less See more
#3 · (Edited)
Final result

Some components were restaured. That was the case of the harm rest (that I chose to keep the original one instead of the most common and recent one) and both of the central consoles between the seats.

There were quite a few problems with components compatibility (the interior was from a 2000 Passat), but tha main one were the seats air-bags' plugs (is this right?).

Lets have a look:

That's about all for now. But I have a small card box with some treats for the machine:lol:

I'll update later;)

Some quick comments:

- Some pictures have a strange yellow reflexion. It's from the mobile's flash light.
- The picture with the childs' seat is so you can understand the strange markings on the back seat.
- There are a few pictures of the under side of one of the front seats. It is to try to show the end result of the air-bags' plugs adaptation. Now it has the most recent ones on this car model.
- There is a nob of the manual gear selector from the 2003 model. I'm still missing a part to better secure the leather part below the nob.
- I still couldn't find the ventilation grids in the middle of the dashboard (once again, is this right? sorry...).

I hope you'll enjoy my wheels (although the car is still missing larger ones:D).

Please fell free to ask me anything. I'll be more than happy to answer any question (if I can).

Feel also free to correct me in any point. I´ll just have to thank you for that.

Live and learn.:)

Over & Out :salute:

#4 ·
First of all let me say that when i saw the thread title i said:

"I know one guy in Portugal that is member of passatclube.pt that has done this modification.."

Bem vindo a este excelente forum...

what a nice work you have done in your car, when i saw the first picture i recognized imediatly your car..

you will find here lots of information and, most important, great people always ready to help.. this is a unique forum, but probably you already know that, congratulations for your car, any mod waiting to be done?

#6 · (Edited)
I'm quite surprised to find here someone who knows my car!!!

Yugo, do you usually take a look in passatclubept? Are you a member or better yet, are you portuguese?
(EDIT: I just saw the location...)

Unfortunatelly that forum is slowly being murdered by one of its moderators...

The child car seat is a group 2/3 model by "Bebe Confort" (a frenhch trade mark, I believe). It's pretty close to a top of the line child seat (Hey, I saw McLaren child seats:icon_eek:). I sometines ride in a Nissan Terrano II (do you have those?) 4x4 and the seat is a TT (All Terrain would be the translation) model with improved confort and fixation settings. Not that I'd take my chikd to a dirt trail or anything:D

I hope to further add comments along with the previous pictures to try my best to explain some of the steps, although I really haven't written in english for more than 10 years now... Please do correct my english when needed.

Next mods...

Can you guess them all?:D

#9 ·
I am member of passatclube.pt, but i rarely take a look in that forum, I found in Passat world a great comunity and nowadays is the only forum that i visit everyday.. i can see that there are some great new mods to your ride.. don´t forget to post pictures when you´re done:thumbup:

#13 · (Edited)
In my country it would be quite a bit of a legal problem to apply a skoda front in a VW. It´s quite usual to see B5 vans (SW) with the B5.5 tail lights because that´s easy to apply, but I only have seen one car (sedan) lwith the exact same modification as mine. I've read about a van also but I've never senn any picture of it yet.

The application of the front is not a smooth job. The B5.5 front begins it's round nose tip earlier (from the back to the front end) and if you watch closelly the pictures of the front "corners" (behind the headlights), you'll notice that the reservoir where the windshield cleanning fluid goes is missing one point of fixation. The box for the air filter also was chopped in a corner, but that is not visible. One of the most crucial modifications to be done were the fixation points of the front part (were the radiators and the headlights go). They have to be almost 2 centimeters further back to receive the B5.5 body parts (I don't know their names... and those parts over the front wheels, on the sides of the hood -> EDIT: fenders :) ).
Also the angle of the front is not the same. The B5.5 front is higher on the front tip, so it looks (because it is) a bit fatter.

I hope I've explained myself in a way that I can be understood.:)

#16 ·
Where should I place this set of day lights?

I'll not use them for what they're made for (day lights), instead I'm thinking in connectibg them to the minimum/presence lights that I have in blue blisters.

Options:

1 - Upper in the air intakes were the fog lights go.
2 - Lower in the same air intakes.
3 - In the small air intakes below the ones mencioned above - In this option I'll have to cut a small piece of the bumper...

Opinions are welcome ;)

#17 · (Edited)
Done. Applied in the middle option.

I had some problems with the "follow me home" kit operating with the xenon headlights and I'm still having problems with the 6 parking sensors kit. It doesm't work while the engine is running... :? I need to stabilize the voltage pretty near to 12V. A bit bellow 12V and a bit over 12,5V and they go nuts (driving me crazy...).

Meanwhile, the car alarm doesn't recognize the key in the ignition anymore...

Everything was fine before. Why did I have to get creative?...

#20 ·
Sorry, but it wasn't my skill... Not my handy work at least.

I've already installed all the gadgets that I've bought.
Lights off

Lights on (minimum)

Lights on (in the dark). The ones on the sides are reflexions of the flash on the xenon bulbs:D

The follow me home kit is working fine now, but in the beginning it was installed turning on the xenon headlights but there were problems. It turned itself on 3 or 4 times each time. I tried to fix the problem but it still didn´t work propperly, so now it is turning on the minimum (presence) lights and the front leds also applied.
The 6-sensors parking kit is also applied but still not working 100%. Soon to be fixed. I already have substitucion material with me.

I'll add later photos of the sensors in place.

p.s.: Sorry for the poor quality of the pictures.

#25 · (Edited)
#26 ·
UPDATE!

Finallly I took some time to take a few pictures of the parking sensors kit in place.

Here it is:

Bck view

Front corner detail

Distance indicator screen

Front view

Just for the view :D

I understand that many of you don't care much about the parking sensors, but here the parking spots are smaller and the kit is especially useful when parking backwards into a small spot with a wall at the end.

It's a mod anyway :p

Feel free to comment

#34 · (Edited)
Hi crazy, haven't seen you around here yet.

So you think my car is nice? (as if you didn't know it already, my friend ;))

Oh yeah... What do you know about measuring distances in miles? :lol:

Something' s gonna change in this pic.

Voilá!

Do you believe that this isn' t still in place dew to a long(ish) wait (2 weeks) for one of these small lamps?

The glass bulb is missing because I tried to replace it, but it didn't work though. :angel:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.