Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

121 - 140 of 147 Posts

·
Moderator/Administrator
24,165 Posts
Looks good! Now, if somebody would just do a B5.5 with B5 front in the US.....I saw the other pic in this thread.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #123 (Edited)
The SW version (variant) of B5 to B5.5 conversion is getting more popular around here, because in the back it comes just to changing tail lights (if the back door is to be kept, but the handle is different). Concerning the front end, the conversion is exactly the same as mine.
That being said, some B5.5 owners around here are mounting B5 tail lights on their SW, but getting back to the sedan' s case, the rear end is quite a lot of trouble to convert to B5.5.

This advert is recent: Volkswagen passat variant 130cv - Verdoejo (Viana do Castelo) - Carros - passate (gone)
A B5 variant with a B5.5 front end.

The pictures on the previous page are from a '97 B5 with a B5.5 rear end applied. B5.5 (here named 3BG) came out around the end of the year 2000. ;)

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #124 (Edited)
Update.

Years ago, i found this photo and i loved the tail lights.

Anybody knows where i can find them still for sale?

Some photoshop exercises that someone made for me.

Now:

Options:

But a new pair of front tires was mounted and it keeps rolling with the tiny 15 inches wheels...

Complete brake set renewed.
I asked for all the material to be from TRW, but these "COMLINE" discs ended up going to the rear axel...

Front discs.

Te front set was like this:

It could still be trimmed and endure a few thousand kilometres, but new is new.
One of the rear discs was cracked! No picture taken though...

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #125 (Edited)
One day i found a new mod on my car, as i came from a shopping center.

After a bit of these:

Final result:

Not perfect, but it could be worse. Only varnish is missing here and there, and not much.

Coming from the beach on a very hot day:

To the Mrs.: "If we're stopped by the police, take a sip as they come to the window." :lol:

Next: Time for some serious maintenance.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #126 (Edited)

Made in Canada??? How did this part get here?

Still missing the alternator belt, and the guide-tensor (right designation?) of the timing belt, and a few other things.

Now the scary part.

This is what it showed in the dash board.

The reality of this number is doubtfull in my opinion, but it serves as future reference.

Next day.

Engine out to change the large oil sealant (o-ring like) in the gear box side of the engine.

Engine/motor completely out of it's bay.

Clutch set.

Found to be near the end, was decided to mount a new set.

A revision was made to the electric starter.

The admission (air intake) was also cleaned. It was almost completely clogged with filth.

At the end of all this, my wallet was quite a bit lighter. A lot was made, but some issues are still to be resolved. The car still has trouble to start sometimes, especially when the weather is hot. The revision to the electric starter was supposed to fix this... After a few days, the right side front brake started to make a metalic noise after a strong breaking effort. Still to find out what causes these problems in order to fix them.

·
Registered
5,885 Posts
Wow, quit a bit of work done to your car, congrats on all the work you do :thumbup: I hope you can resolve the issues that are going on with it. As far as your choice of wheels above, from the four options, i would say picture number 1 or number 4, the fourth one reminds me of my wheels :) . Good luck and keep us updated :thumbup:

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #129
No help in ukpassats and none here either... :p

Don't you know that portuguese people must save the few €€€ they have? :D

I mean to buy a complete set of suspension arms through ebay.de, but my german language knowledge is near to none. Google translator does all the work. :whistle:

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #131 (Edited)
From B5 to B5.5

Hi guys.

Sorry for such a long time without any news. But there are plenty! :)

As you know, photobucket's third party sharing plicy has changed, so, for a guy like me, with a topic for hu«is cars posted in a few forums, it was a hard blow. I never did ypdated most of them...

But let me proceed with the news. I went back to the first post and realised that not averything is lost, so, i registered in imgur and saved the most relevant pics.

So, las August, this happened..

The car in the middle really got crushed.

So, this was the way i felt like goingo:

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #134 (Edited)
From B5 to B5.5

Still being modified:

Garage gate remote on ESP button (tis car doesn0t have ESP).

2004 electric wing mirrors, with turn signals. Just have pictures of the painted covers, because the're still not in place.

Something else still to be finished.

And more.

Also have the footrest or dead pedal. They are for the last generation and i'll have to cut the pedals to fit these covers, but no big deal.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #135 (Edited)
From B5 to B5.5

2013 VW Scirocco's wheels came also.

So, what do you think about this insane job?
Not financially smart, i can asure you. But when the accident occurred, the suspension had been mounted about 6 weeks prior, as well as the wheels, along with a new windshield. AND, the last fuel consumption was something along this: 1275km with a full tank (about 64L)! Yes, with these wheels and 225/45R17 tyres!!!

I spent more than the car is worth, but yha case for the accident is still in court, and i hope it results as it should, in my favour. The truck rear-ended the darj Peugeot, launched it into the rear end of the Passat, but then the trucj still continued moving and rear-ended again the car in between... Now, the truck's insurance company is trying to argue that there was already an accident when the truck hitted, wich is false... Let's gope for the best.

I am quite happy with my decision, though. :) My bank account, not so much... :(

·
Moderator/Administrator
24,165 Posts
That is amazing!!! Well done!

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #137 (Edited)
From B5 to B5.5

Thank you! :)

Now i am solving ancient electrical issues. At the same time, i am replacing some interior parts with B5.5's ones. Central console, hand brake and driver's door inner cover. I'll share with you when i get it done.

If anyone needs any tips, feel free to ask. For example, how i got the trunk lid lock to work, AND the trunk light. This car does not have CAN lines. ;)

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #139
I must go back then... Not! :)
I bought this car while the front end was being applied. I always felt like it was neither a B5 nor a B5.5 look. At least now it has the same model look on both ends.

Yes, i know, but a lot of sellers from the country of the rising Sun advertise the smaller ones as if they fit Passat B5...
The larger that i bought is original and i bought it used on ebay (.co.uk or .de, i can't remeber).

·
Registered
27,066 Posts
That turned out well. I have a similar issue with spending more on the upgrades than the car is worth, but it's still cheaper than a new car (so far).

Reactions: captainfantastic
121 - 140 of 147 Posts