Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know many moved to newer models, but maybe someone had the same issue and can put me on the right path....
2000 Passat wagon won't crank after replacing the outside mirror switch (the old one would work some of the times). So seconds after replacing the mirror switch the car wouldn't start and the windows will not operate either (interior lights work, dashboard light work, radio works, lock & unlock work) .... which leads me to believe it might be the CCM module or possible bad wire some where ?

• tried another battery (getting over 12.4V)
  • tested the starter with the jumper cable from battery and it cranks
  • fuse #14 is ok (all of them are ok)
  • looked at wires and splits in the door and under the floor mat leading to CCM module - everything looks good
  • tested the voltage at the ccm connector (looked at an youtube video which had a bad power wire going to CCM module) and I am getting 12v, 8v, and 5v on different wires if I remember right.
I haven't tested the starter relays or ignition switch, however since the windows also stopped working, I tend to believe it might be the CCM module or bad wire...
so is there a way to test the CCM module to confirm it is bad before I spend $ to replace it? (I opened up the box and everything looks good inside, no water signs anywhere)
I will scan the car with a better scanner sometime this week to see if there is communication with the module.

Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
26,009 Posts
Short in the mirror blew fuse 5 (I think that's the one). I would double check the fuses with a test light, I am sure it's one of them.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for the reply. I will check the fuses again.... (that was the first thing I checked and doubled checked)

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
I'd suspect fuse 38, since the power windows don't work. The windows should work, at least independently at each door, even if the CCM were dead.

The CCM does need fuse 6, as well as 14.

If you are stuck, you can remove relay 186 (which the CCM activates) and jumper terminals 8/87 and 2/30 in the socket. That effectively bypasses the alarm. The relay is in position 12, i.e. bottom row, 2nd from right, in the 13-position relay panel. (Typically the labels are either 8 or 87, not both.)

·
Registered
147 Posts
Do you have any kind of security system on the car? Try putting the key into the drivers side door and unlocking it, then try to start the car up

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Indeed it was fuse #6 (5A) .... Just had the chance to check it over the weekend and to my surprise it was just the fuse (I think I jumped over it when i did the checkup)....
Anyway as soon as I replaced the fuse the car started. However when I tried to see if the mirrors work (with the new switch) the fuse went out again. So either there is a short in the mirror or bad mirror switch (didn't check because I spent the rest of the time putting all the guts and parts back :) )

Thank you for point me in the right direction, you guys/gals rock!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Indeed it was fuse #6 (5A) .... Just had the chance to check it over the weekend and to my surprise it was just the fuse (I think I jumped over it when i did the checkup)....
Anyway as soon as I replaced the fuse the car started. However when I tried to see if the mirrors work (with the new switch) the fuse went out again. So either there is a short in the mirror or bad mirror switch (didn't check because I spent the rest of the time putting all the guts and parts back :) )

Thank you for point me in the right direction, you guys/gals rock!
Yes I have seen that before with the mirror switch causing B5 Passat starting problems. WHERE did you buy the switch from? Ebay or Amazon? Take it out and you should not have any more starting issues due to that switch. BTW did that switch have a "Parking" feature too or just Right/Defrost/Left? I forgot which position blows that fuse.

·
Registered
884 Posts
I've used the parking feature on my older Passats that don't have the movable mirrors since otherwise my kids seem to leave the switch in the defrost position all the time....
It has never blown a fuse AFAIK so I'm guessing it's a bad switch or a wiring problem.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
About this Discussion
7 Replies
6 Participants
Iowegian
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing