Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
Passat b5.5 1.9 tdi
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello I have Passat B5.5 2004 1.9 TDI. The issue is known for over 2 months and looks like after close inspection that radiator is leaking from bottom. There is some kind of rubber on both sides at the bottom, and on side where you can drain coolant from radiator there is leakage, have anyone seen something like this?

Image is not from my passat but from Audi but it looks very similar and that big arrow is showing at the rubber where it is all wet, also at that white thing too.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
I don't have a TDI (had a B4V TDI but it's long gone....) but I can tell you that the red screw turns and opens a valve that allows coolant to drain out of the port on the side of the radiator. I would guess (and it's just a guess) that the rubber part holds some sort of plastic trim to move air around.

The red screw and valve are just plastic and rubber IIRC. I'd open the screw to drain the coolant and check the condition of the valve. If it's not leaking above, that is the most likely source of the leak.

·
Registered
Passat b5.5 1.9 tdi
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I tried to turn the drain but its like rock solid. I cant turn it at all even with heavy tools. Im going to try liquid that seals leaks. Hope that works, if thats a solution i will update any finds.

·
Registered
9,551 Posts
I wouldn't put any sealer in the coolant.
Clamp a cap on that drain outlet, and see if that solves the problem.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts