Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. Last day i switched my low lights h7 for led kit. I needed to do some more modofications. After installing it i noticed that led kit is less brighter than the one bulbs that i had before. (they were yellow). I have passat b5.5 2005. I hope anyone could help me. Thank you and have a nice day馃槂

Moderator/Administrator
What LED kit did you buy? It is common to have this happen for a couple of reasons.
1. Poor quality kit with low power LEDs
2. Position of the LEDs on the bulb may not be optimal for the halogen projector housing

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
What LED kit did you buy? It is common to have this happen for a couple of reasons.
1. Poor quality kit with low power LEDs
2. Position of the LEDs on the bulb may not be optimal for the halogen projector housing
I bought this. I hope you can translate in english

in dire need of an organic chemistry lesson
When you buy LED lights you need to pay attention to their number of Lumen spec. The lower lumen the lower light it produces. Lower lumen LEDs are cheaper. You get what you pay for.

Moderator/Administrator
Unless they can be rotated so that the LEDs are at a different position, I am not sure how you will be able to get a better light output. Are they actually dimmer or do they not shine as far ahead?

In looking up that light, it says 10,000 lumens. Who knows if that is actually true. From experience on Passatworld, LEDs do not perform well in the projector housings. HIDs perform much better. I have had a 35w 4300k HID kit in mine since at least 2010 and is plenty bright.

Registered
Discussion Starter #7
They dont shine far away. Mybe i should try to lift them up? But i dont know if i could do that because you just rotate the light so its not moving...

Moderator/Administrator
There are adjustment screws accessible from the top.

Registered
The lumen rating is a measure of how much light output it produces.
Just because a LED is rated for a high lumen rating doesn't mean it's going to be brighter.
Dispersion of the light pattern, ambient air temperature and the temperature of the LED
itself are all factors in how the light is projected and how the human eye sees it.
The majority of all LED headlight lumens ratings are severely inflated. It's a marketing scheme.
Simply putting a LED or a HID for that matter into a standard factory headlight housing does not work and is illegal almost everywhere.
LED headlights and HID's need a purposed designed reflective and projector housing.
LED headlights are bright at a close distance, but for down road, they loose the ability to illuminate or disperse useable light at any kind of distance.
Kelvin vs Lumens ratings and it's understanding are needed to make a wise and functional headlight conversion purchase.
Slapping in a new set of headlights for a conversion is not as easy as people think.

The dispersion of light beams in the air is directly proportionate to their condensation. The higher condensed light is, the brighter and farther it travels. Laser beams which are highly condensed light is an example. Theoretically, a high lumen light source should be brighter and travel farther than a lower lumen. But that also depends on the marketing scams.

Moderator/Administrator
Or rather how focused the beam is. In relation to the LEDs in Passat projector housings, their relative position of the source of the light within does not allow the projector to properly focus it and therefore the usable light will not be very far.

Registered
Discussion Starter #12
This is what im seeing. I think i got scammed and those led lights are sh*t. Should i buy normal h7 bulbs or hid? And what is the different betwen them. Thanks for such a help guys馃槄 i just want to have a lot of vision because my vilage is thro the forest and i need to se a lot because of animals馃槄

Link:

because my vilage is thro the forest and i need to se a lot because of animals
If your village is in the middle of a forest with lot of wild animals, then I suggest get yourself a AK-47 instead of LED headlights :p

Registered
So metro Chicago.

Registered
2004 GLS 1.8T
So should i just buy white h7 bulbs with more W?
Probably not. Several members here have wound up with burnt wires and melted housings with over-wattage bulbs. You CAN use bulbs like the Sylvania SilverStar; they burn brighter at the same wattage. Disadvantages are short life and high price.

Registered
Discussion Starter #17
I bought m-tec powertec platinum +130%. I will wait when it will be a night and i will tell you a different. Seller said that mybe i have dirty inside a low Light(big lense infront of bulb) and i neee to replace a whole light. I will keep you updated. These bulbs are 55w so it must be better.
I have another problem. I installed after market radio and everytime i turn on the car the setting on radio are reseted. I watched some videos on youtube and its saying i need to change yellow wire with red one. Anyone know anything abouth radio?
Thanks and have a good day馃槂

Seller said that mybe i have dirty inside a low Light(big lense infront of bulb) and i neee to replace a whole light.
That could certainly be the case like mine. One of my headlights interior housing has attracted dirt causing lower intensity light but haven't been able to find a way to clean it. I guess the only way might be totally replacing it.

Also I am overly interested in this location you posted earlier.

One of my friends is a Hollywood director and is looking for a location to film the second part of the movie "The Haunted". I firmly believe this is the right location. If it's your own property you can earn a lot of money by just renting it to him. Can you share the GPS coordinates?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts