Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to know if the center console on B5.5s is prewired for a cd changer. I have a single din six disk unit that I can't use on my MK4 and it would be great if I could put it in my mom's W8. Unfortunately the car is in transit right now, and I am away at school so I am in no place to try an install.
Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
318 Posts
I have a 2003 GLS 1.8t and when I bought it I only had the CD player in the head unit. My buddy gave me his 6-disk CD changer from his 98 passat becuase he never used it. The changer plugged right into the little first aid comparment in the trunk and worked. All I had to do is plug the thing into the wire harness and install the two screws. Very easy.

So yes, the wires are already run into the trunk to hook up a cd changer

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was not asking about the trunk. I already know that the Passats from 2001 and up are already prewired for the trunk mounted cd changer. I was asking about the center console.
That is the cd changer I am talking about.

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
If by center console, you mean the radio console, the changer comes with a short cable to connect it to the head unit. If by center console you mean underneath the armrest, no, you have to pull back the cable to the trunk and relocation it there.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Any idea how easy it is to relocate the cable. I'd like to be able to do it in an afternoon. Mind you I have very limited electronics skills. I can just about do a rear foglight on my MK4, should I consult someone with more experience?

·
Lefties have rights, too!
15,673 Posts
Piece of cake. I did it last winter. You will need an extension cable. I got mine here. Make sure you order IDC-A09. I could not find it in the US.

Nothing else is needed just pop the changer into the arm rest.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
About this Discussion
6 Replies
5 Participants
Tom Parish
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing