Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings all,
I found this bog puddle of oil under my car in the driver side. I followed it and found it was coming from the upper tube close to the radiator or front fog light. Any idea what are these tubes amd how serious is it ?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
they are the transmission coolant lines, you need to take corrective action in regards to sealing and or replacing the hoses, otherwise you take serious risk in damaging your transmission, refilling your transmission is easy BUT must be done with the proper fluid and the by the protocol and methods outlined and thoroughly covered in this forums "search community" archives.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Can i drive it 100 miles or it would be too much ? The leak seems continous dropping. Many thanks for your feedback and if anyone got any suggestions to repair these hoses would be great

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
By the way cchief i've just done the major timing belt and other belts change last week and i suspect the repairshop made this mess. Do the hoses look like if they were opened and toghtened again by the repairshop ?

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
you can tighten and take a chance, maybe loosen and slide a little further and add an additional clamp, the kind with an inner 360 degree band as the serrated type tend to embed into rubber and wrinkle causing small leaks.......the "shop" you used probably either removed or did this putting car's front end into service position to do TB, and if original tubing/hose nuts were rusted just cut them and spliced line in losing fluid also, definitely needs to be addressed, and a big risk in my opinion because I do not know how much fluid has been lost. Hold the shops/mechanics "feet to the fire" on this one. First I would start car and as drip manifests itself tighten and see if it stops....then get a fore mentioned hose fuel/coolant clamp (360 degree wrap) and add a redundant clamp to both. If you make it to your destination go back to shop and under your supervision do a tranny fill after reading the methods and protocols for servicing the VW tranny,all the info is here on this forum's "search community" archives on how to properly do it.......hang in there

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
it may not drip a lot or at all for a while, until engine and tranny is warmed up, then it pumps to cooling area in radiator. Wipe off area and tighten at first sighting of fluid

·
Registered
26,511 Posts
Actually, that is the p/s cooler lines. It's common for them to leak after putting the front into service position. You can add a extra clamp next to the old one and it will usually hold. Sometimes the rubber line gets too hard and it needs to be replaced.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Turned out to be Transmition oil leak from the upper oil cooler line. It was loose and retightened it again, Issue solved. No much ATF oil was lost. Did check that and had good flow out of the opened inlet port while car is running. Much appreciated guys

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
Like PZ stated, power steering lines. Power steering lines are on the driver side of the car while the transmission lines are on the passenger side. Check the power steering fluid level.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks all for the feedback. Unfortunately i noticed there was drops of oil again at the clipse connection from the upper line. It looks like it is the transmation cooler line with part number 8D0317821K. I retightened it as it was loose again and will observe the car for the next days. It did stop leaking 2 monthes since the first leak.

·
Registered
26,511 Posts
The trans lines are between the engine and the motor and go into the radiator, it uses bolt together metal fittings, similar or the same as AN type fittings. The p/s cooler runs to the front of the radiator and condenser and makes a loop, it uses clamps. The picture in your 1st post is the p/s. If it still leaks, you may need to cut back the end of the hose and re-clamp it (if there is enough length in the hose).

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Looks like you are right PZ, those look same as the below drawing which is PS oil lines number 17. However, i was confused because when i cut the end of the hose, it spilled about 500 ml of dark yellow brownish oil and the PS oil is Green.

·
Registered
26,511 Posts
The p/s fluid is only green when new. Since you drained the reservoir, you may want to flush the rest of the fluid too.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks PZ. Does the P/S fluid has expiration date ? The bottle i used to top off from 2014. I just changed the whole system 1000 mies ago and had to add the old one after it drained. If i have to, i will flush again soon with new fluid.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts