Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my last problem was the car being stuck on first, turned out to be a wire that went out and had water on it. Fixed the issue and dried the car out near the TCM. Current problem ( was from parts a problem when I got the car tbh ) is a strange shudder m/shake jerking motion during shifting on an uphill from 3rd onwards. Rpm plays a little up before shifting too. Will take the car for fixing next week. Mechanic said ( he actually told these symptoms even before I started talking except what car I had ) he said it was most probably a Torque converter. Can it be only that ? Would love if it’s that as the price he gives for Tranny removal opening fixing with the TC closing and putting it back in is really good. Bout 900 dollars if my exchange to currency is right. That’s with a revision of the tranny witch I guess means new oil filters and all those sorts of maintenance. He said that even if we fix everything here it’s also good to do a flush of the tranny as a lot of debris is gonna get stuck or is stuck.

· One Punch Man
148 Posts
If the transmission fluid has never been changed, that might be all you need. I believe there is a vacuum component associated with the control of your torque converter too. Might want to check into that. If you basically lug it up a mild grade at 25 or 30 mph, and the tach needle slowly swings about 100rpm when your not moving the accelerator, that probably is your torque converter.

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If the transmission fluid has never been changed, that might be all you need. I believe there is a vacuum component associated with the control of your torque converter too. Might want to check into that. If you basically lug it up a mild grade at 25 or 30 mph, and the tach needle slowly swings about 100rpm when your not moving the accelerator, that probably is your torque converter.
Huh didn’t know that, well in km/h it’s bout 55-65 so that is like 25-30mph you know give or take but the needle is ok when I haven’t touched the gas even if it’s going. Will seewhat the mechanic says. Let’s hope for oil only haha

· One Punch Man
148 Posts
Huh didn’t know that, well in km/h it’s bout 55-65 so that is like 25-30mph you know give or take but the needle is ok when I haven’t touched the gas even if it’s going. Will seewhat the mechanic says. Let’s hope for oil only haha
The transmission fluid specification numbers for VW are G 052 162 A1/A2/A6. If you're wanting ZF numbers, (ZF is the company that produced the transmission) S671 090 170. There are others that will work also. Esso LT 71141 and Valvoline MAXLIFE Multi-Vehicle VV3246 (quart) or 773775 (gallon) . The ZF and VW specification numbers are usually printed on the back label of any fluid that covers that specification. Some people say you can even mix different brands together if the specs match, which I figure is probably mostly true from experience. But I try not to do that. There are a lot of options out there as far as fluid goes. Research and verify this information yourself please?.

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The transmission fluid specification numbers for VW are G 052 162 A1/A2/A6. If you're wanting ZF numbers, (ZF is the company that produced the transmission) S671 090 170. There are others that will work also. Esso LT 71141 and Valvoline MAXLIFE Multi-Vehicle VV3246 (quart) or 773775 (gallon) . The ZF and VW specification numbers are usually printed on the back label of any fluid that covers that specification. Some people say you can even mix different brands together if the specs match, which I figure is probably mostly true from experience. But I try not to do that. There are a lot of options out there as far as fluid goes. Research and verify this information yourself please?.
Oh no I would be worried about that I know what to use as oil, problem was what could it be then again I can’t expect that to be 100% pinned as I’m asking online. Thank you for your info toughnit is very helpful and I hope it’s about oil only.

· One Punch Man
148 Posts
I have doubts about this being a transmission fault.
I would start with a full scan, using VCDS or other VAG specific scanner.
Some details of the car would be a big help'
You may be correct in that not being a transmission fault. I have had several cars that seemed to have serious problems when all they needed was new plugs or plug wires and vacuum issues. These are all things that happen when they get to be about 20 years old, and mechanics/shops just love telling you it's something more serious. Because "money for nothin" ya know?.

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You may be correct in that not being a transmission fault. I have had several cars that seemed to have serious problems when all they needed was new plugs or plug wires and vacuum issues. These are all things that happen when they get to be about 20 years old, and mechanics/shops just love telling you it's something more serious. Because "money for nothin" ya know?.
Vacuums are good we checked them because my coworker that I got my car from serviced the car before I got to drive it, also new plugs and everything. No errors whatsoever.

· One Punch Man
148 Posts
Vacuums are good we checked them because my coworker that I got my car from serviced the car before I got to drive it, also new plugs and everything. No errors whatsoever.
Check your vacuum lines against the plackard/sticker on the hood or firewall to make sure. Just because it was serviced doesn't mean it was done correctly. It's crazy easy to miss a broken hose or hook it up wrong.

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Check your vacuum lines against the plackard/sticker on the hood or firewall to make sure. Just because it was serviced doesn't mean it was done correctly. It's crazy easy to miss a broken hose or hook it up wrong.
That’s what we actually looked in for the first time as it showed a fault with the Secondary air system. The one that is used for ECO stuff and to warm up the car faster if I’m not mistaken, sorry if that’s not what it’s for kinda new to the VAG stuff as so far I have driven only Alfa Romeo’s and a couple of BMWs.

· Registered
1 Posts
Any unusual shaking or vibrating forces coming from the engine is cause for concern. It could be something as simple as old spark plugs producing an uneven power delivery, it could be something serious like worn or broken engine mounts, or it could be even more serious in the case of internal engine damage.

· One Punch Man
148 Posts
That’s what we actually looked in for the first time as it showed a fault with the Secondary air system. The one that is used for ECO stuff and to warm up the car faster if I’m not mistaken, sorry if that’s not what it’s for kinda new to the VAG stuff as so far I have driven only Alfa Romeo’s and a couple of BMWs.
Various makes of cars work in only slightly different ways to accomplish the same thing (usually), VAG stuff isn't all that different than any other. I think most VAG vehicles are pretty neat...The only thing I really don't like about some of them is that engine hanging way off in front of the front axles on the AWD/Quattro vehicles. When you lower them they tend to chin slam on steeper driveways and other obstacles, cramming a fragile cast aluminum oil pan into obstacles that's protected by little more than a cheap plastic chin pan/splash guard held on with mostly plastic fasteners.

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Any unusual shaking or vibrating forces coming from the engine is cause for concern. It could be something as simple as old spark plugs producing an uneven power delivery, it could be something serious like worn or broken engine mounts, or it could be even more serious in the case of internal engine damage.
I’m almost 99% sure it’s the Tiptronic going out. Car is a lot of mileage so I can guess it’s it’s time. Plus it’s RPM play and shakes during shifting not when stationary also spark plugs are new.

· One Punch Man
148 Posts
If it shudders that's usually the torque converter. Sometimes it's just low fluid though. I've had a 5hp19 (ZF Tiptronic 5 sp. auto) so low on fluid that it shuddered a little and made hydraulic pump trying to draw from a dry tank sucking noises on steep hills. I bought it that way and did a fluid change and it seems fine now.

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well sadly wasn’t down to oil change, clutch packs out, hydro out, and because of the first pressure is low. Still since it’s an old car won’t be that much to fix, we will see in a week or so what happens and if it will be a good fix.
Huh dejavu for some reason.

· Registered
1 Posts
So my last problem was the car being stuck on first, turned out to be a wire that went out and had water on it. Fixed the issue and dried the car out near the TCM. Current problem ( was from parts a problem when I got the car tbh ) is a strange shudder m/shake jerking motion during shifting on an uphill from 3rd onwards. Rpm plays a little up before shifting too. Will take the car for fixing next week. Mechanic said ( he actually told these symptoms even before I started talking except what car I had ) he said it was most probably a Torque converter. Can it be only that ? Would love if it’s that as the price he gives for Tranny removal opening fixing with the TC closing and putting it back in is really good. Bout 900 dollars if my exchange to currency is right. That’s with a revision of the tranny witch I guess means new oil filters and all those sorts of maintenance. He said that even if we fix everything here it’s also good to do a flush of the tranny as a lot of debris is gonna get stuck or is stuck.
I have twice had similar issues and both times water intrusion of the TCM was the issue.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts