1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Anyone have experience with ebay type angel eyes. I've been eyeing (get it) these, http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/97-0...019QQitemZ290033705455QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

Damn good price but made by some random company called Sonar. I'd like to get the FK ones but they're expensive. I'm trying to have my parents in Germany find them for cheap but the dollar and euro being what they are makes that impossible.
i bought the b5.5 version they work great but the halos arent as bright as bimmers. but still look nice. only thing i wouldnt recommend is buying the halos seperately. my cuzn bought the angel eyes seperately off ebay for his mazda 3, and had creative autoworks make the ballast for it and everything. well it worked!! for awhile........ ended up burning 2 ballasts and now hes having creative autoworks provide the halos so that they can warranty their work.

·
Registered
6,164 Posts
I wonder what bulbs the halos take. Not the lights, but the little LEDs.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I believe they use wedge type leds. I remember looking it up awhile ago looking at color options.

·
Banned
8,975 Posts
Has anybody wired up the halos to be their new daylamps, instead of taking the place of foglamps? It seems to me they would actually be useful as daylamps.

·
Registered
5,332 Posts
I'd be REAL wary of eBay-special headlights from Brand X. It is rather unlikely that Brand X went through all the trouble and expense to have the lights actually run through the proper SAE and DOT tests to make sure they do not blind other drivers.

SirWired

·
Banned
8,975 Posts
I'd be REAL wary of eBay-special headlights from Brand X. It is rather unlikely that Brand X went through all the trouble and expense to have the lights actually run through the proper SAE and DOT tests to make sure they do not blind other drivers.

SirWired
Not to mention the plastic is probably not UV-resistant.

·
the Sal wannabe
4,901 Posts
someone soldered a ring of white leds for their halo and it's kick ass, but a lot of work. the halo rings you see from these lights are lit up from 2 leds, i believe.

·
In reverse, but chained to a tree.
13,904 Posts
wow, that's odd... Evil wasn't the most downing commentator here... heh..

i do hafta agree, somewhat, to how they look though.
yes, they look awkward, but i guess it really depends how they'l look on your car. in my opinion, they look a bit odd in the pic.
could just be a bad picture flash angle. but oh well.

before you buy these lights, i recomend that you find them, and look at them in person. that way, you will have a better idea of how they will look on your car. not some fake picture.

i don't like buyer's remourse.

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Please don't- just buy a BMW. This is one of the tackiest things Passat owners do to their cars, just like the Mk4 GTI poseurs.

I wish more VW drivers would embrace the other styling characteristics of Volkswagens and Audis instead of trying to make them look like BMWs- they don't deserve that imitation.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Please don't- just buy a BMW. This is one of the tackiest things Passat owners do to their cars, just like the Mk4 GTI poseurs.

I wish more VW drivers would embrace the other styling characteristics of Volkswagens and Audis instead of trying to make them look like BMWs- they don't deserve that imitation.
Why not? I have black angel eyes on my satin silver B5, and they look really great. I've had BMW owners compliment on how nice they look and that they had to look twice to see what car I was driving. I think the stock headlights are not necessarily ugly, but they need improvement IMO. Plus I dont have DRL's anymore, and the euroswitch allows me to have just the halos on for that hour of dusk.

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Improvement = factory HID headlamps. 'Angel eyes' do nothing, even on a BMW.

Automatic DRLs of any sort are weak- just turn your headlights on. Your rear lights even come on for better visibility.

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
Improvement = factory HID headlamps. 'Angel eyes' do nothing, even on a BMW.

Automatic DRLs of any sort are weak- just turn your headlights on. Your rear lights even come on for better visibility.

thats not true; the engineering term for angel eyes is diffusers - they keep on coming traffic from being blinded by HIDs by diffusing the total output. FYI there is very little on BMWs that are purely cosmetic.

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
i bought a pair. I think they are okay. Certainly they look much better than having my yellowed and fogged up stocks still on there. When they get cleaned up i may put them back in.

·
Registered
633 Posts
I like B5 angel eyes. I think it is hard to deny that the BMW halo headlights (or what ever they call them) are a great design. If you want to argue that the halo headlights are not appropriate for the shape of the passat that would be one thing but I don't think it is a valid criticism to say they should only be on BMWs. Apart from grill shapes and insignias there is little we don't allow to be common between car manufacturers. There are a lot of hideous mods out there angel eyes are not one of them.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts