Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've a VW Passat 1.9 TDI saloon (reg'd 2000). Recently it's developed a flat-spot when accelerating and the 'oomph' falls off when acsending hills. However, consumption is still around 50mpg and there's no problem with tick-over.
My local VW dealer says I need a new Air Mass Meter for which the cost will be some £200. I've seen these advertised for between £60 and £90.
Can anybody advise me please with:-
(a) Does this sound like an Air Mass Meter issue ?
(b) If so what sort of job is it to do oneself with just a normal toolkit ? and no access to any 'electronics'

Thanks

· Registered
762 Posts
You can probably run a scan with just an OBD 2 scan tool, they can also scan you for free at Autozone. A nice tool to have is the Vag-Com, they sponsor this site. You might be able to get someone in your area who has one to come over and hook up the laptop if you were to offer beer.

One thing to keep in mind is that diesels don't use o2 sensors because they run lean and there is always oxygen in the exhaust. The MAF is easy to clean with electronics cleaner from Radio Shack or 90% IPA from a drug store. There are how to posts on this in the help section -- it's pretty straightforward.

Good luck...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.