Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I am having strange problem with my alarm horn. Somedays ago alarm went off midnight and I had to leave the trunk open to stop it. Later in morning I found that when I lock the car with remote it doesnt sound but on pressing panic button it sounds well. I have checked water leakes, damp carpet, re-programmed remote, re-connected battery, got new FOB batteries and all door and trunk latches; all are fine. I ran OBD II and VAG COM but no codes found. On locking it locks all doors and hazard light blinks but horn do not sound. Please help me, I do not want to go to stealership without any big cause.

Thank you..

·
Registered
4,020 Posts
you have a bad micoswitch somewhere. the switched tell the alarm that all the doors, trunk, and hood are closed. if one of the switches is bad, the alarm wil think that one of those is still open, and the horn won't sound until the alarm thinks they are all closed.

do some searching on here about the micro switches. there are writeups on how to replace them.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Hmm... sounds to me like it is your trunk microswitch since that is what you had to open to stop the problem. Do a search for "trunk microswitch" -- a lot of people have bad trunk switches, in my car it works about 1/2 the time ... if I open the trunk and 2 minutes later it realizes it is open the alarm WILL go off. Maybe yours is "stuck" open now...?

Good luck! When my microswitches started going, like 3 failed at once... :x

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well thanks for responses. I have checked all doors and dome light senses them. Trunk still locks with remote and key but key movement was little hard. I will check the microswitch and see if it is bad.

Thank you..

·
Registered
4,020 Posts
You can check the function/ status of the switches w/ vag com... while you're there, check that the module is programmed to beep when locking the car. The stock radio can also effect the alarm...

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It used to beep before alarm issue; is there a way it could loose it on its own? It used to chirp in dying pulses for some days and after that it is dead. If there a separate battery for alarm arm sound ?? The radio issue seems to be worth trying. My radio LED is blinking correctly. Can you please suggest how to test radio malfunction to alarm?

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Some people have reported that pushing their radio in towards the dash or pulling it out and re-connecting all the wires fixes their alarm issues. Don't see how this is possible, though, as my radio is currently sitting on the passenger floor (I'm doing some stereo work) and the alarm works fine AND chirps when you lock the doors.

Maybe newer models are different, mine is a '98. Worth trying though - IF you have your radio code (!!) Don't unplug the radio without the radio code handy!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Radio light still blinks, anyway as advised by you I will check the radio, I have the radio code. How to check hood latch.

Thanks for responses..

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So here comes weekend and sadly the alarm again went off :banghead: . I tried locking with key in trunk lock and kind of sure that trunk alarm microswitch is bad. Thnaks for your expert help. I will try changing it and see if it stops blaring alarm.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi,

It appears its the moisture under the driver carpet making some short or messing up CCM. It will have it fixed and see if works good for me.

Thank you

·
Registered
4,020 Posts
Check all the wiring between the CCM and up to the kick panel. There are several factory splices in the wiring that corrode once they get moisture in them...

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yeah I showed it to an indy and he has advised to run blower to remove moisture. I would like to do it myslef. Does anyboy has information with pics about how to reach footwell?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts