41 - 60 of 147 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Syncro = Viscous
Haldex = 4motion
Torsen = Quattro

(but not exclusively, for example my W8 with Torsen is 4motion)
Under the brand name "4 motion", VW produces 4wd cars with longitudinal and with transverse engines.

Those with longitudinal engines, take the Quattro system, and the ones with transverse engines take the Haldex.

Vanagon is an exception to this "rule". (And to any other, but this is another story...).

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #46 (Edited)
Two witnesses.

A Canadian, former owner of a passat syncro g60, and of an Audi quattro 100 cs, says:

" I think I am the only Vortex member who was an original owner of Passat G60 syncro. The car above is a 1992 model that I bought in late August of 1991 (I sold it in 1994). Great car, great and simple AWD system. This car handled far better in snow than my mom's 1993 Audi 100CS quattro. It was like a little tank in the snow (and I lived in Ottawa when I had this car so it saw A LOT of snow!)."

An U.S.A. citizen says:

"This winter, I upgraded to an '99 Audi A4 Quattro, and retired the '92 Syncro to the back yard. For the second time this year, my syncro was able to drive through snow drifts on the road that my Quattro was hopelessly stuck in. The worst part is that after driving the syncro through the snow banks with ease, and I used it to pull my quattro out. They both have the Nordic Wintertrac tires on. I was under the impression when I bought my quattro that it had a good all wheel drive system. I can guess by the fact that one front tire and one rear tire on the quattro were spinning that these are not limited slip diff's."

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #52 (Edited)
And here, from another "white paper", we can see that the passat syncro g60, (4wd), at an easy cruising speed of 140 km/h., consumes, almost, four times (+) less fuel than it's little diesel cousin, (2wd):

:lol:

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #58 (Edited)
Some more chassis strength comparisons:

Yes, as a lot suspect, B4 is not exactly the same metal.

B4(one click inferior)

And the same is true for the Vanagon which betters the Eurovan.

Vanagon

Eurovan

Not VAG

VOLVO 760 GLE

VOLVO 960

FORD F-150(A very low score for a truck, which explains its bad behavior in crashes)

JEEP CHEROKEE

MERCEDES C-220

41 - 60 of 147 Posts