Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my car about 2 months ago from VW dealer with CPO warranty.
2013 PASSAT TDI SE W SUNROOF AND NAV
My car now has 24.500 miles. I bought it at 17100 miles.
My AC smelled bad for a while(it still does). And then started making noise.
The noise is more like a metal touching something.
Now it's not blowing very cold,just OK. And it's noisy.
It was blowing super cold last week.
I changed cabin filter under glove box. Still the same issue.

Did anyone have same issue before? I cant even locate where the a/c compressor is. I am pretty new to cars.
When I popped the hood, I noticed big two fans behind the radiator.
Smaller one was running fine,but big one seemed to be little off from the center,it was not touching the other fan but does not look straight.
Any suggestions?
NO CEL ON.

Will CPO warranty or any remaining factory warranty will cover this fix?
i checked the forum and could not find anything related to this.

( I did not register to forum for this thread only, I would like to share,read and discuss about some posts and problems as well.:) )

·
Registered
13 Posts
Sounds like your blower motor is dying or has maybe had some debris in it. I have a ‘13 as well and had to take out my blower assembly yesterday and when I removed it it had small twigs and leaves galore mixed up in it.
Reading up on it and inspecting it myself, the blower fan sits right underneath a grate or grill that attracts and accumulates particulates and they eventually just fall right into it.
The blower assembly is right under the glove box and reasonably easy to access and remove.
Take it out and check for obstructions and debris or mechanical failure like bad bearings. And so you know, a bad blower motor pulls more power and will eventually fry the thermal fuse in the blower resistor and/or the resistor itself.
If is still running and you have a multimeter you should check the voltage and amps to the blower. No clue how many amps it’s supposed to draw, but someone on here could tell you.

·
Registered
13 Posts
F6679840-DBEC-454E-8FB4-80C5E2BEA279.jpeg

Hope the pics help. It’s easy to get to. The cover under there has two plastic thumbscrews you twist out to remove the cover and then the blower has a tab you push up and then just rotate it and it releases. Takes a little wiggling and turning to squeeze it down between the carpet and some plastic manifold-looking thing but it ain’t hard.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts