Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

21 - 40 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Your two misfire codes are on the driver’s side bank. If you remove that side plastic cover you can at least confirm that there’s nothing visibly wrong with the plug wires running to those cylinders. That could be a good hiding place for mice, and it stays warm the longest.
Thank you Hirnbeiss. I opened area and attached is the pic., is that the area you referred to?

Attachments

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Your two misfire codes are on the driver’s side bank. If you remove that side plastic cover you can at least confirm that there’s nothing visibly wrong with the plug wires running to those cylinders. That could be a good hiding place for mice, and it stays warm the longest.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Thank you Hirnbeiss. I opened that area and here is the pic. Is this area you are referring to?

IMG_5941.JPG

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Thank you Hirnbeiss. I opened that area and here is the pic. Is this area you are referring to? View attachment 98822

View attachment 98822

·
Registered
454 Posts
Can I ask where you live? do you have a garage? How is your engine bay SOOOOOO (relatively) clean after 250k miles?
(note: I've lived in NY or VT my entire driving life, so SALT and lots of it, and in VT lots of dirt roads too)

Also just looking at the valve cover on your pics, it looks like some evidence of oil leaking out your camshaft chains tensioner gasket and/or valve cover gasket.

Would someone with more knowledge/experience chime in?

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #26 (Edited)
Can I ask where you live? do you have a garage? How is your engine bay SOOOOOO (relatively) clean after 250k miles?
(note: I've lived in NY or VT my entire driving life, so SALT and lots of it, and in VT lots of dirt roads too)

Also just looking at the valve cover on your pics, it looks like some evidence of oil leaking out your camshaft chains tensioner gasket and/or valve cover gasket.

I live in Santa Cruz mountains (Santa Cruz, CA), park my car in the driveway, no garage and in the summer time park my car under the trees. I keep my car clean by washing it myself and clean under the hood and the engine cover, pretty much all the areas that I can access with a damp towel.

Thank you for your observation, which promoted me to look at the worksheet from my mechanic who did lots of work on my car when he was changing the timing belt in October 2019. I'm attaching the work sheet & parts. Looks like he did some work on the 'camshaft chains tensioner gasket and/or valve cover gasket,' but not sure.

I'll wait to hear back from you and other members, then will discuss it with my VW mechanic.

Thank you again.

IMG_5943.jpg

IMG_5944.jpg

·
Registered
5,088 Posts

I was going to comment on that also.
That engine bay is CLEAN for that many miles.
Just goes to show how a little care and the environment can make a car age much less.

Yes there looks to be a bit of seepage of oil from between the valve cover and CCT area. Very common for the V6 motor. But considering the mileage, it's really not bad at all.

Reactions: Ellie

·
Registered
5,088 Posts
It does show work being done under the valve cover. I'd mention it to the mechanic. He probably just slapped the gasket in and buttoned it up. There is a bulletin type notification that goes along with a valve cover change and how to properly seal it. It shows 'key' points where to add dabs of silicone sealant.
Me personally I would have expected it stay leak free much longer, but I'm OCD when it comes to engine fluids and the ability to keep those fluids retained within the engine. There is a very weird shape to the valve cover gasket that goes over the CCT. Oil leaks can be remedied by precisely positioned beads of high temp silicone along the valve cover gasket.

This summer it'll be 4 years since I rebuilt my wife's V6 engine. That car doesn't leak a drop of fluid.

·
Registered
27,233 Posts
I had someone who had mice nesting under the intake like that and they ate through one wire. There was just enough wire left for a repair. Hopefully you can keep they out, maybe mothballs would help, but keep the air vents on recirc for your car. It's not healthy to breathe that in.

·
Registered
454 Posts
I had a mouse nest in my titan's engine, under the intake manifold.
The adopted Passat had a mouse living in it for a while, the nest was under the passenger seat.
Both of these happened when both vehicles were basically sitting for a long time.
Note: I live in VT
when I lived in NYC, it wasn't so much mouse nests as live rats that were problems. More than a few people I know had rat guts and everything else in their engine bays because they would park (usually happened on trash days) near a pile of trash that was being picked up overnight. the rats would flee the trash pile, and find the warm(er) cars. in the morning or later that night, people would start their cars and hear some horrible sounds as NYC rat and radiator fan came together.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
I was going to comment on that also.
That engine bay is CLEAN for that many miles.
Just goes to show how a little care and the environment can make a car age much less.

Yes there looks to be a bit of seepage of oil from between the valve cover and CCT area. Very common for the V6 motor. But considering the mileage, it's really not bad at all.
Thank you AndreasPassat. In addition to keeping my car clean in and out, I always take care all necessary services in a timely manner and whenever an issue with my car comes up, I'll take care of it right away. Since, I joined this forum, I've learned a lot from all of you and a few years back I stopped taking my car to the dealership, since, they always would come up a laundry list of things, most unnecessary and waste of money, plus, everything was 3 times more expensive than my current VW mechanic, who specializes in VWs and he is very reasonable, gets parts at reasonable prices and also a very nice person too, which is a bonus. He actually, appreciates that I communicate with you all about my car's issues and share with him your expertise and recommendations.

Re: 'Yes there looks to be a bit of seepage of oil from between the valve cover and CCT area. Very common for the V6 motor,' - is this going to cause any kinds of problem/s leading to expensive repair?

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
I had a mouse nest in my titan's engine, under the intake manifold.
The adopted Passat had a mouse living in it for a while, the nest was under the passenger seat.
Both of these happened when both vehicles were basically sitting for a long time.
Note: I live in VT
when I lived in NYC, it wasn't so much mouse nests as live rats that were problems. More than a few people I know had rat guts and everything else in their engine bays because they would park (usually happened on trash days) near a pile of trash that was being picked up overnight. the rats would flee the trash pile, and find the warm(er) cars. in the morning or later that night, people would start their cars and hear some horrible sounds as NYC rat and radiator fan came together.
That's awful, but expected. Here in Santa Cruz mountains, mice is a major problem and for people who don't have a garage is an ongoing battle. It's an unpaid part-time job to keep the damn mice away, but well worth is, otherwise, they'll be eating everything they can.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Just curious--why is your oil cap missing? Just for the photo, I hope...
I removed it to get a better access to removing the cover's 2 screws with a quarter, since I did not have a short screw, but put it back after I put the cover on.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
It does show work being done under the valve cover. I'd mention it to the mechanic. He probably just slapped the gasket in and buttoned it up. There is a bulletin type notification that goes along with a valve cover change and how to properly seal it. It shows 'key' points where to add dabs of silicone sealant.
Me personally I would have expected it stay leak free much longer, but I'm OCD when it comes to engine fluids and the ability to keep those fluids retained within the engine. There is a very weird shape to the valve cover gasket that goes over the CCT. Oil leaks can be remedied by precisely positioned beads of high temp silicone along the valve cover gasket.

This summer it'll be 4 years since I rebuilt my wife's V6 engine. That car doesn't leak a drop of fluid.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #36

This summer it'll be 4 years since I rebuilt my wife's V6 engine. That car doesn't leak a drop of fluid. - This is excellent!
Thank you AndreasPassat, I will mention it to him. As you can see on the worksheet it wasn't cheap to get it done. I'm sure he will fix it, he is very ethical person, but he may have just missed doing it correctly.

When it comes to our cars, we must take care of it right (it's better to be OCD, then careless), so that it will last longer. This is my 3rd VW over the last 35 years that I've been driving. My 1st car was a Golf, then a Jetta and now the Passat, which is my favorite.

Thank you so much again for your help.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
I had someone who had mice nesting under the intake like that and they ate through one wire. There was just enough wire left for a repair. Hopefully you can keep they out, maybe mothballs would help, but keep the air vents on recirc for your car. It's not healthy to breathe that in.
Wow! Those damn mice, complete nuisance and annoyance. No mothball, hate the odor, plus its very toxic. Actually, I've started putting a couple of tiny drops of mint and lavender oil in different areas of my car, w/o getting into the engine area, generally around the vents, under the hood and also use a damp towel with mint or lavender oil when cleaning my car and that has helped. Mice hate mint & lavender odor. Plus, I check my car every morning and as soon as I see something, I immediately vacuum it.

·
Registered
5,088 Posts
Re: 'Yes there looks to be a bit of seepage of oil from between the valve cover and CCT area. Very common for the V6 motor,' - is this going to cause any kinds of problem/s leading to expensive repair?
No not really. Usually leaks in the area over the CCT just contribute to a very messy looking engine.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
So no signs of mice damage on the driver’s side valve cover area. I think he’s right, you have to wait for the codes to come back and see if the misfires are still limited to that bank or affect both banks.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Hi All:

Today, my wonderful mechanic checked both sides of the valve covers, on the driver side and the passenger side, there was no signs of sparks plug leaking (he pulled them out and showed them to me) and no mice damage either. He also used his air pressure and removed all the leaves and nonsense the damn mice had gathered.
Please see pic.

IMG_5937.JPG

I also mentioned if he thinks anything else could be leaking; i.e. CCT and he said that he doesn't think so as when he was fixing it, he made sure its sealed properly. Plus, he just changed my car's oil and checked my car while he was doing it and didn't see anything leaking.

Afterward I went to Home Depot and bought the Tomcat repellent made for mice & rats. Please see pic. attached. It has a combination of mint, garlic & cinnamon odors, which mice & rat hate. So, I removed my engine cover and sprayed 2 coats and also sprayed different area of my car too, keeping my fingers crossed and hoping for the best.

IMG_6058.JPG

I'll provide update as to how this repellent spray works. Also, if my engine light comes on again and what the codes are.

Thank you again everyone for all of your help, expertise and knowledge.

21 - 40 of 50 Posts