Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
this question is on behalf of my dad...He has a 2000 Passat 1.8T (150bhp model) its been chipped to 225bhp (rolling road proven at TSR Motorsport as most powerful 'standard' chipped 1.8T engine). The car is pretty fast, BUT it's also VERY quiet...Hardly any induction or turbo noise on acceleration.

This is where the question comes in, is it 'OK' to modify the airbox and cut a hole or holes into the wing side part to increase turbo or induction noise without losing power or buggering the engine up? It's been done on previous other cars (16v & 8v Mk2 Golf GTI's, and an Oettinger Audi 90 2.5 10v) with no problems...Just come here to see people's oppinions on it?

Thanks,
Ben

www.DUBMEISTER.co.uk :cool:

·
Registered
625 Posts
Dubmeister_Jr said:
Hi,
this question is on behalf of my dad...He has a 2000 Passat 1.8T (150bhp model) its been chipped to 225bhp (rolling road proven at TSR Motorsport as most powerful 'standard' chipped 1.8T engine). The car is pretty fast, BUT it's also VERY quiet...Hardly any induction or turbo noise on acceleration.

This is where the question comes in, is it 'OK' to modify the airbox and cut a hole or holes into the wing side part to increase turbo or induction noise without losing power or buggering the engine up? It's been done on previous other cars (16v & 8v Mk2 Golf GTI's, and an Oettinger Audi 90 2.5 10v) with no problems...Just come here to see people's oppinions on it?

Thanks,
Ben

you may get flamed for this one.......
at the top if each forum there is an information sticky..everything you need to know is in there.
whilst cutting holes may have increased flow, or in particular, induction noise on your previous cars,if you look where the glowing hot turbo is in relation to your dads airbox, then any holes will be sucking in HOT air-thus loosing power .
if you cut the holes,then generally they are piped to somewhere behind the lower bumper grill so COLD air can be directed to your box.
search or look in info forum for COAM or COLORADO AIR BOX MODS.
EVERY NEW MEMBER asks this question and there can be dozens on the same day.search is good as every detail about your car has been covered in depth time and time again....
i think because of the heatsoak issue the standard IS a cold air intake but is made for comfort not sporting sounds.with a coam or similar you can acheive hearing the turbo.....
good luck and i'm counting the miutes till a moderator flames you...read whats there,then if unsure,its fine to post questions.
its often quicker and more fruitfull to search.

sorry about going on but maybe this will save you from the onslaught....lol :thumbup: :p

·
Registered
3,844 Posts
The airbox mod isn't gonna give you the sound you're looking for. Yes, it does sound better than stock but you need to get an intake and exhaust to really open it up.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Dubmeister_Jr said:
Sorry i did search but i got an error message :p thanks for the info! :thumbup:
the search doesn't like anything less than 3 letters i've found but if you put in more specific...like-COAM for example you'll be sound.. :thumbup:

·
Registered
109 Posts
Dubmeister_Jr said:
Hi,

Thanks,
Ben

MMM 225BHP on the K03? I'd be asking santa for a new turbo for christmas! I was advised that running 0.9 BAR / 12ish Psi was the safe "Usable" limit for these turbo's. To get 225BHP out of the standard turbo on a standard engine, i reckon you'd have to run the K03 at 1BAR boost,and if you have the standard intercooler, i can only think that when it all heats up in traffic, your gonna be down to say more like 180-190BHP if that. Star Performance in Kircaldy reckon it becomes far too peaky after you pass the 210BHP mark and less drivable!!

BUTstill thats Awesome power from the standard setup, good on yer old man!

P.S Back to the point, cutting holes in the airbox is only gonna make more noise which sounds great, but for any power increase its negligable! :thumbup:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Apparently power was as high as it was on the standard engine due to the higher miles it's done, so it had loosened up (over 100,000) it's had a few things replaced but runs fine now. TSR motorsport said its the highest figures they've seen on their rolling road for a totally standard 150bhp 1.8T engine....Also it's been on the remap for quite a long while now, no problems with the turbo at all! :)

As for the airbox, will 'just' drilling holes lose power? If it gained no power but made a better noise it wouldn't matter so much just he wont wanna lose any power! lol

·
Registered
3,258 Posts
get ricer blow off valve and thats it, it will boost up passat to like 300bhp in one second :lol:

PS make sure you put blow off vavle brand stickers on the side of the car so everyone will know what kind of blow off valve you got. that way you double the chance of other ricers to know that you driver force inducted vehicle...

·
Registered
27 Posts
you may get flamed for this one.......
at the top if each forum there is an information sticky..everything you need to know is in there.
whilst cutting holes may have increased flow, or in particular, induction noise on your previous cars,if you look where the glowing hot turbo is in relation to your dads airbox, then any holes will be sucking in HOT air-thus loosing power .
if you cut the holes,then generally they are piped to somewhere behind the lower bumper grill so COLD air can be directed to your box.
search or look in info forum for COAM or COLORADO AIR BOX MODS.
EVERY NEW MEMBER asks this question and there can be dozens on the same day.search is good as every detail about your car has been covered in depth time and time again....
i think because of the heatsoak issue the standard IS a cold air intake but is made for comfort not sporting sounds.with a coam or similar you can acheive hearing the turbo.....
good luck and i'm counting the miutes till a moderator flames you...read whats there,then if unsure,its fine to post questions.
its often quicker and more fruitfull to search.

sorry about going on but maybe this will save you from the onslaught....haha :puke: :banghead: :beer: :puke: :( :crazy: :) :thumbup: :bowdown: :thumbdown :p ;) :cry: :rolleyes: :hmmm: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :poke: :confused: :whistle: :nervous: :beer: :banghead: :cool: :angel: :biglaugh: :Yikes: :bowdown: :crazy: :thumbup: :cry: :rolleyes: :biglaugh: :poke: :poke: :poke: :poke: :poke: :poke: :poke: :poke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :confused: :confused: :beer: :beer: :bowdown: :puke: :whistle: :poke: :cool: :angel: :banghead: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
slayerrule said:
get ricer blow off valve and thats it, it will boost up passat to like 300bhp in one second :lol:

PS make sure you put blow off vavle brand stickers on the side of the car so everyone will know what kind of blow off valve you got. that way you double the chance of other ricers to know that you driver force inducted vehicle...
:poke: Yeah er great idea... :bowdown: :nervous:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts