Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
sunvisor vanity light switch problem

You know the light that goes on when you slide the vanity mirror protector on the sunvisor?
When i slide the protector to turn on the light, it works 50% of the time.

Anyone had this problem?
What can be done?

TIA

·
Registered
396 Posts
ecb5 said:
You know the light that goes on when you slide the vanity mirror protector on the sunvisor?
When i slide the protector to turn on the light, it works 50% of the time.

Anyone had this problem?
What can be done?

TIA
short in the visor mirror slider?

I would take off the visor and using jumper wire to connect the two pins on the connector. If this turns on the light, it means you have a short in your visor. This is my best guess.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
I have this problem also, except mine doesn't work at all and I suspect yours will stop working completely soon. It is caused by bad wiring in the visor. Moving the visor around eventually causes the wires to break...many have reported this problem with the HomeLink visors as well.

The only fix is to carefully cut open the top edge of the visor and fix the wiring, and then glue it back together. I decided this will look like a$$ no matter how careful one is, and decided to live with it.

The other option is to replace the visor (about $70 online), which I am sure will eventually fail again anyways.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ShrinerMonkey said:
I have this problem also, except mine doesn't work at all and I suspect yours will stop working completely soon. It is caused by bad wiring in the visor. Moving the visor around eventually causes the wires to break...many have reported this problem with the HomeLink visors as well.

The only fix is to carefully cut open the top edge of the visor and fix the wiring, and then glue it back together. I decided this will look like a$$ no matter how careful one is, and decided to live with it.

The other option is to replace the visor (about $70 online), which I am sure will eventually fail again anyways.
You nailed it my friend!
As up today, it stopped working.
No more light...

This is cheap stuff ... there is a person on that side of the car only on the weekends...
How can it fail when it has been used only a few times a year?

·
Registered
6,165 Posts
ecb5 said:
You nailed it my friend!
No more light...

This is cheap stuff ... there is a person on that side of the car only on the weekends...
I think the more important question is what you're doing on weekends. :p

·
Registered
996 Posts
ecb5 said:
You nailed it my friend!
No more light...

The driver's side in my '03 GLS failed (Homelink and vanity light) after I extended it less than a total of five times. Poor, poor design.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
PRoJeKV6 said:
I think the more important question is what you're doing on weekends. :p
Usually no feet on the headliner...a must for me.

But seriously! I mean, damn, wtf with this crap they put on such a nice car...

I think i will try to pop it open and see...

I will let you know!

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
ecb5 said:
You nailed it my friend!
No more light...

Yeah, it is. It was the driver's side that failed in mine, but yeah, I expect the passenger side will fail too eventually, that is why I haven't decided to fix it because it will probably just break again anyway.

It' the electricals that seem to be one of the biggest achilles heels in these cars, and most European cars for that matter.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts