Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Guys,

This is not a how to remove the outer axle joint question but rather anyone ever had one that will not come out no matter what you do to it? I got a replacement of rebuilt axle from Rax already and I am just messing around to see if there is anyway to get the damn thing off.(after three days of trying it is getting personal):mad:

If you ever run into this problem and figured out how to remove it please let me know.

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
Passenger side is much tighter fit than driver side. Have you removed the semicircular shield above the inner joint? Turn the wheel full left? Jack up at the lower control arms to almost lift the car off the jack stand? Push the joint out with the axle bolt? All of these will create more space to remove the axle.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the quick reply y2000, I did all you said to remove the whole axle from the car and I don't mean to take the whole axle off from the car. I mean after you take the axle off, the outer joint that is attached to the actual axle will not come off......you know you suppose to use a brass hammer well that didn't work. so I figure it is going back for rebuilt I took out my 4lb slug and beat the living hell out of that outer joint and it will still not come out.

·
Registered
5,335 Posts
Yup. Sometimes it's just on there too tight, and won't come out easily. This was my situation with my axle, and led to MY Raxle.

When I told my Brother-In-Law mechanic about this, he just laughed and said that's exactly why few professional mechanics re-boot; they use rebuilt axles instead.

Turns out they even make special hydraulically-powered machines designed to do nothing but remove joints from shafts; such a machine would not exist if every joint was as easy as some people think.

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
Not certain if it is what you meant to say, but hitting the joint directly with the hammer or the sledge I do not think will work. What is needed is pressure placed at the center of the joint on the race where it meets the splines on the axle shaft. To do this I use a large flat blade (5/16 or larger) screw driver, but you should use a brass drift. Then reinstall the old bolt in the axle just snug enough to keep the joint aligned with the axle shaft. Now hit the drift with a small sledge or dead blow hammer and it should pop off. I'm not certain that aligning the CV with the axle actually does anything, but it works for me.

CV removal.jpg

·
Moderator/Administrator
24,757 Posts
I use the method described in this video. works like a charm. I didn't have a slide hammer, but instead drilled a hole in a 2x4 for the bolt to go thru and threaded it back in. Then banged it down between 2 sawhorses for the same effect. Popped right off.

https://youtu.be/Dpz2m4o0ZIk

·
Registered
5,464 Posts
so I figure it is going back for rebuilt I took out my 4lb slug and beat the living hell out of that outer joint and it will still not come out.
When you say "outer joint", I hope you mean that you are applying force only on the inner, splined part of the outer CV joint. Also, be sure that your hammer is hitting a brass or aluminum bar, not the joint itself. And, is that driveshaft still in the car, or held in a bench vice?

·
Registered
877 Posts
Not certain if it is what you meant to say, but hitting the joint directly with the hammer or the sledge I do not think will work. What is needed is pressure placed at the center of the joint on the race where it meets the splines on the axle shaft. To do this I use a large flat blade (5/16 or larger) screw driver, but you should use a brass drift. Then reinstall the old bolt in the axle just snug enough to keep the joint aligned with the axle shaft. Now hit the drift with a small sledge or dead blow hammer and it should pop off. I'm not certain that aligning the CV with the axle actually does anything, but it works for me.

View attachment 62562
This is the method outlined in the Bentley manual and is the one I use. Having the outer joint aligned with the axle is not the least bit important because the part that's attached to the axle is the spoke ball cage and not the actual joint. The ball cage will always be aligned with the axle. If you're unable to detach the joint from the axle using this method then it has either rusted solid to the axle, which is highly unlikely since it is inside of the boot and is covered in grease, or you're simply doing it wrong. I pull the axle from the car and clamp it in a Black & Decker Workmate with a towel wrapped around the shaft. I can pop the joint off with one solid blow using a brass drift and a 3-4 lb short-handled sledge. I've never had to hit it more than twice.

FWIW, I've seen the video linked by VAGguy before. It's a prime example of why YouTube maintenance videos should be taken with a grain of salt. Clearly, the guy in the video is not a master mechanic. He doesn't seem to mind that the axle plummets to a hard driveway after separating the joint. It may not seriously damage the inner joint, but I'd rather not take the chance. It's hard to find a video that even mentions using a torque wrench. I've seen far too many that just make me cringe when I see the techniques used. Many simply defy all logic and common sense. I will say that a lot of them are good for comic relief and can be somewhat entertaining, if not very helpful.

·
Registered
5,335 Posts
Seriously guys, sometimes that joint simply WILL not come out. I used a sledge and drift for a long time, exactly like the diagram shows, and it wouldn't budge. A 5-lb slide hammer from the auto parts store: Same result. (And with some axles, you ALSO can't use the "drive the bolt in with the axle out of the hub" trick either; the bolt just starts to self-thread and jams.)

If every joint could just pop off the shaft with a hefty love tap from a sledge hammer and drift, they wouldn't make hydraulic presses designed to do nothing but remove CV joints from shafts.

·
Registered
877 Posts
I'll confess that I've only disassembled the joints on a few axles so I've never had to deal with one on the same level as a stuck UCA pinch bolt that refuses to budge. In fact the last axles I worked on were from Raxles. I used used to replace the entire axle when the boot started to tear. I made the mistake of disposing of my OEM axles when I first replaced them with a cheap set of Chinese knockoffs, which actually lasted a few years. I went through at least three other sets of them before biting the bullet and buying a set from Raxles with no core exchange. Since then I've been a strong promoter of replacing boots and outer joints instead of entire axles.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hey man, how do you use a hydraulic press to remove the outer joint? Do you have any video? I would love to see it and try this idea.

And thank you all for the rest of the comments, I have tried everything everyone has mentioned and it wold NOT come off, this is just one of those "elite" axle that will take mobs of raids to pull it off...that speaks for my luck...

·
Moderator/Administrator
24,757 Posts
This is the method outlined in the Bentley manual and is the one I use. Having the outer joint aligned with the axle is not the least bit important because the part that's attached to the axle is the spoke ball cage and not the actual joint. The ball cage will always be aligned with the axle. If you're unable to detach the joint from the axle using this method then it has either rusted solid to the axle, which is highly unlikely since it is inside of the boot and is covered in grease, or you're simply doing it wrong. I pull the axle from the car and clamp it in a Black & Decker Workmate with a towel wrapped around the shaft. I can pop the joint off with one solid blow using a brass drift and a 3-4 lb short-handled sledge. I've never had to hit it more than twice.

FWIW, I've seen the video linked by VAGguy before. It's a prime example of why YouTube maintenance videos should be taken with a grain of salt. Clearly, the guy in the video is not a master mechanic. He doesn't seem to mind that the axle plummets to a hard driveway after separating the joint. It may not seriously damage the inner joint, but I'd rather not take the chance. It's hard to find a video that even mentions using a torque wrench. I've seen far too many that just make me cringe when I see the techniques used. Many simply defy all logic and common sense. I will say that a lot of them are good for comic relief and can be somewhat entertaining, if not very helpful.
Yeah, it killed me to see that too. Doing it over the grass cushions the fall. i'm not talking like a 3 foot drop, just enough clearance to let it fall free from the joint. To each their own I guess.

·
Registered
5,335 Posts
Hey man, how do you use a hydraulic press to remove the outer joint? Do you have any video? I would love to see it and try this idea.
It's not a generic hydraulic press; perhaps I mis-spoke... it's a hydraulically-powered device for CV joint removal.

·
Registered
27,598 Posts
I've never had one I can't get apart. A good vice, mini-sledge and being hard-headed always work :p

1 - 19 of 19 Posts